Nick Shelby's Reviews > Behemoth

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

M_50x66
May 23, 12

If you enjoy a good Sci-Fi book, you have got to read Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld! The book has a steam punk theme, which incorporates sci-fi, alternate history, and fantasy into it's writings. The Story is about two teenagers during WWI who meet and work together, although they come from opposing sides. The Central Powers use machines called Clankers to fight, while the Entente Powers are called Darwinists, as they use hybrid animals made to fight their battles. The book takes a classic time period of war and sacrifice for the entire world, and puts a new spin on it. This creates a very intriguing story line, as it is set in a world that can only be fantasized about; similar to a Star Wars almost. Personally, I really enjoy these kinds of reads, because they place my mind in a totally foreign state that is unrealistic. This makes my imagination boom and sends thoughts swirling through my head of what could of been. It also contributes to our quarterly theme of "Culture Shock" because not only is it a unique setting with unique circumstances that are historically incorrect, but the characters experience a "Culture Shock" as well. They are exposed to the lives of their enemies, and become allies through out the three book series. I highly recommend this book to everyone if they are looking for an escape from the real world. Five stars and two thumbs up for this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behemoth.