Amalthea The Unicorn's Reviews > Dragonflight

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

U 50x66
Sep 22, 08

Recommended to Amalthea by: A friend at school
Recommended for: Anyone who likes (romantic) sci-fi and doesn't mind mistakes
Read in October, 2002, read count: 1x cover-to-cover, but had to reread many parts for comprehension

Overall, I do really like the basic story concept of this book and the whole series (hey, I read every one I could find at the library, didn't I?).

BUT

I strongly dislike the inconsistencies in the storylines, grammar/spelling, and editing (e.g., says "he" instead of "she" in some places). I also dislike the complete lack of chronological order between books, though I realize other series (e.g., Redwall, Chronicles of Narnia) work perfectly well this way. I think it's mostly related to the constantly-changing backstory and my own desire for order (especially chronological).

I really liked the character of Lessa early on in this book: I thought she was strong-willed, independent, and tough; however, she wound up--as all the other female characters seem to in later books--taking a very stereotypical subordinate-female role. To some extent, this could possibly be blamed on social attitude during the era this first book was written or that during which the author grew up, but I found even some of the more recent books to be quite sexist toward women.

Overall, it's a pretty enjoyable read, if you can ignore all the problems!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonflight.