Marilou George's Reviews > Forgive Me, Alex

Forgive Me, Alex by Lane Diamond

Jul 23, 12

Read from July 19 to 20, 2012

Forgive Me, Alex is a deeply emotional spellbinding psychological thriller. The story is delivered through the eyes of Tony Hooper whose life was forever altered by the exploits of Mitchell Norton a serial killer released from a psychiatric hospital after 17 years. The story goes back and forth from 1978 to 1995 when Norton is released and reveals in horrific detail the events that contribute to the culmination of the story. Tony watches from afar as Norton gains his freedom and has justice in the form of revenge on his mind. When eerily similar murders are discovered in his town of Algonquin after Norton’s release, Tony is even more determined to put a stop to the madness.

This story affords us a look into the mind of a serial killer and the tremendous strength of writing in this book makes that a terrifying experience. The writing is exceptional in that it propelled me into the story and into the minds of the main characters as well as keeping me totally fixated on the story. The suspense and tension is this story is very palpable and I found myself thinking about this story long after I had finished.

The main characters of Tony and Mitchell are painted with such fine precision and depth I could almost feel their presence while reading. The character of Frank Willow the adopted Grandfather of Tony and Alex is a richly defined character who contributes a great deal of emotion and compassion to the story. The other characters in this story are all unique and well defined and successfully contribute to the sentiment, understanding and underlying current of the story.

The small town setting of Algonquin, Illinois which is the backdrop for this story lends a great deal to the emotion and reality as you get a glimpse into small town America and the bonds that are forged with people who grew up and lived in these towns. It also brings to the forefront the horror and sorrow that result from the actions of one deranged individual upon a town full of people. This is also the story of what happens to families and friendships and the feeling of well-being that existed prior to such devastating realities.

Lane Diamond has succeeded in bringing to the surface the dark and horrifying mind of a psychotic serial killer while at the same time bringing forth the desperate need for humanity and justice for the victims and their families.

I highly recommend this for its powerful and gripping story line. You will be held in a spell that will keep you wanting more and find yourself totally drawn in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgive Me, Alex.