Marilou George's Reviews > Letting Go

Letting Go by Victoria Watson

Jun 11, 12

Read from May 23 to June 08, 2012

To be perfectly honest I have never been a reader of short stories, at least until now. Victoria Watson has assembled a collection of profound, emotional and well written stories with characters that will impact you in many ways.

INSIDE
This story is written in first person, offering up the main characters inner beliefs, state of mind and self-judgment.

A profoundly moving story about Annie and the tragedy that befalls her. Centered around a grocery store in town that is being demolished, she watches with her mother and revisits her past working in that store and tells us of the events that have culminated in her future.

The supporting characters in this story are strong and vibrant and provide a further connection to Annie and to the reader

This short story is a very poignant excursion thru the life of a young girl that is altered by a singular event in time. A very profound and well written story that Annie herself is voicing.

I SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING

Carol Spencer has fallen on hard times she has lost her job of ten years and has not been successful in finding another. She remembers having some tarot cards, finds them and decides on her course of action. She concocts a name for herself, Jacqueline Stargazer, and against her better judgment becomes a tarot card reader. This decision will serve to alter the course of her life.

If you have ever been at a crossroads in your life and been faced with a decision that may be beneficial for you but involves taking advantage of others this story reminds you that Karma is a force to be reckoned with.

KEEPING QUIET

Betty had been the caretaker and keeper of secrets in her family since she was a child. Her mother was a very domineering woman and Betty had only a few snippets of a life of her own. Now that Betty can no longer take care of herself she sits in her chair and contemplates her life.

I found this story extremely telling and thought provoking. I was viewing Betty’s life as if I had lived it myself and could feel her emotional journey.

This is just a sample of the wonderfully written and emotional stories from LETTING GO. I enjoy Victoria Watson's writing style, she has a unique ability to pack a punch in a short time.

I highly recommend this collection of short stories for the unique perspective that is conveyed and the impact of each and every story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letting Go.

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Hi Marilou, Like you, I have never been much for short stories, but I did write a couple and won contests with them. Your excellent review of Letting Go (which is a great title) has activated my interest and I will definitely look into Victoria Watson's book.
Thank you, Mary Firmin, author of Deadly Pleasures