Lacey (Booklovers For Life)'s Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

I could not love this as much as I loved Anna and the French Kiss. I had such high expectations for this because of Anna, and I was so disappointed when I finished the book. I still liked Lola and the Boy Next Door very much, but it just didn't have that AWESOMENESS that is Anna. But I was gladly surprised to see Anna and St. Clair in the book! I had no idea Stephanie Perkins was going to do that!
Anywho, I was very annoyed that throughout the entire book, Lola just could not make up her mind about Cricket! (btw LOVE that name) I felt so bad for him, with Lola stringing him along like a poor puppy. And can I just say, Cricket is the sweetest, most adorable YA guy I've ever read! That's why I totally hated Lola sometimes, when she was being such a dunce. But overall, this was a great book, one I really enjoyed. Stephanie Perkins rocks!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Quotes Lacey (Booklovers For Life) Liked

“What just happened?"
"Your father invited the former love of your life in for pie."
"Yeah, that's what I thought.”

Stephanie Perkins
“When it's right, it's simple.”

Stephanie Perkins
“People should say what they mean and not make other people stumble around.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Sometimes a mistake isn't a what. It's a who.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring."
I smile. "You don't think I'm perfect?"
"No. You're delightfully screwy, and I wouldn't have you any other way.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Anna prods St. Clair's shoulder. "Come on. Weren't you gonna show me that thing?"
"What thing?"
She stares at him. He stares back. She cocks her head toward Cricket and me.
"Ah, yes." St. Clair stands. "That thing."
They rush out. The door shuts, and St. Clair shouts, "Lola, Cricket wants to show you his thing, too-oo!”

Stephanie Perkins
“So do you believe in second chances?" I bite my lip.
"Second, third, fourth. Whatever it takes. However long it takes. If the person is right," he adds.
"If the person is... Lola?"
This time, he holds my gaze. "Only if the other person is Cricket.”