mary's Reviews > The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Mar 19, 07

i trudged through it.

i realized i hated every single character, and i hated the more sympathetic ones even more for seeing pieces of myself in them. i threw the book across the room frequently, or started yelling at the characters (which is inappropriate to do in cafes, apparently) and it filled me with the same agita of watching an incredibly awkward scene in a film, where all i want to do is go crawl under a rock and hope the ickiness will go away when i return.

but, everyone must read this book, if only for the same reason that if you smell something bad, you encourage the people around you to smell it too. you will even smell it again, to your surprise. you always always smell it twice.

i'll read this book again. and then i'll read atlas shrugged. and then i'll read that one again too. i need to, if only masochistically, and only after spending a little time reading her actual philosophy. i am entirely enchanted by its demanding pursuit of happiness, but need to appreciate objectivism itself before getting frustrated with the epic monologues of the bombastic characters. ugh. i'm rather disenchanted right now, seeing Ayn Rand as being an odd combination of dogmatic and naive. it's also my mother's favorite book, which i still can't understand.

read the book, if only to think a little more and to spur endless conversations with friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountainhead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aly I had exactly the same experience! I continually battle this book. I once had someone ask me about it and I said, after a pause that it was "provocative". She looked at me and said "That's a really good answer, because it doesn't tell you anything about the book!" And yet I'm not sure what more I can say succinctly. The book inspires rants. I still can't figure out what I admire and yet find so sickening in Dominique Francon. I'm not sure if I'll drag myself through the book again to find out. But I continue to puzzle over it.

Mikey You're just mad because the sex scene made you hot.