Mixedbagreader's Reviews > My Soul to Keep

U_50x66
May 23, 12

bookshelves: ya, fantasy-spn-romance
Read in May, 2012, read count: 1

I'm still enjoying this series, but this book unfortunately included one of my pet peeves in plotting. I really despise conflict that's created by people simply NOT TELLING EACH OTHER THINGS. Why for the love all that's holy won't Kaylee just explain to (view spoiler) what's going on? We get some very weak justifications for this sprinkled throughout the novel, but personally I find them all to be completely B.S. I think the real reason (view spoiler) isn't being told is that it creates conflict and suspense by making Kaylee run around in circles trying to "protect" her. Look, this behavior is only marginally more acceptable coming from a female towards a female than it is coming from annoying male characters who always want to protect the sweet vulnerable innocence of their lady. CUT IT OUT. You are never benefiting a woman by keeping knowledge from her that you have personally decided is "too much" for her to handle. That's obnoxiously condescending and not your decision to make.

I find this strange and hypocritical to be coming from Kaylee here, after it was made such a big deal in the first book that keeping the truth of the supernatural world from her when she was personally connected to it was actually putting her in danger. She actually delivered a great speech about it to her father, calling him out for keeping information from her which actually just made her less prepared and less safe.

(view spoiler)

Kaylee is normally such a moral center of the series that these kinds of oversights are very glaring...

Apart from that, we get some more decent foreshadowing about Tod having some romantical potential feeeeeelings for Kaylee. And what's going with Nash is built up pretty well, going from subtle to overt off-ness. All of the clues are blatant enough for any reader to pick up and it all comes together well.

Vincent continues to make some interesting, dark choices with the consequences to her characters' actions and that's one of the things that consistently makes this series worth reading. When Kaylee, Nash, and Tod make mistakes, people pay for them. It adds real weight to the events in each book.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Keep.