Benito's Reviews > Comeback

Comeback by Peter Corris

May 23, 12

Read from May 23 to 24, 2012

The occasional Peter Corris detective novel is my guilty pleasure. No great works of high literary genius, but enjoyable particularly to a Sydneysider to see stories of murders at Strathfield golf course, trips to Woy Woy for weird Indian prostitutes and underground doctors who ran Rogan Josh restaurants. Beers at The Bank Hotel, Newtown deciphering clues from a dame who runs a shifty acting school in Angel Street. Putting down, and conversely name dropping, local actors and musos, and caricatures of those, at parties in Paddington, Bondi, Coogee or Darlinghurst.

Corris knows his job. He does it well and with obvious enjoyment.

This latest in the series is interesting as PI Cliff Hardy is dealing with impending old age (he spends almost as much time ruminating at the gym as he does over his beloved whiskies) and the advent of the internet into his life (people telling him rumours that saw on Facebook and he having to get his own website much to his chagrin) as well as dealing with the usual array of Aussie crims, living and dead lady friends, and money issues.

Also you can read it in a couple of sittings, which I admit may make it sound not worth it $29.99 RRP but I usually borrow them from Newtown or Waterloo libraries myself, or in this case get it free from the Sydney Writers' Festival Angus & Robertson Green Room. But hey, for all Hardy bitches about the interweb I'm sure the ebook versions will be pretty cheap there - I'll tell you when I get around to buying an e-reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comeback.