Shauna's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

May 23, 2012

bookshelves: self-help
Read in April, 2012

I actually found a lot to relate to in this book. I did get tired of her writing "studies show..." This is probably my scientific background; I wanted more information about the studies, like a specific name.

My own mantra I have identified: I can only change myself.

Where I really related to her:
**I need "an outlet to record the odds and ends I feel compelled to gather."

**Also, “..my insatiable need for credit: the gold star, the recognition.” This is where my best friend comes in.

**"Pursue a Passion:Write a novel" I have started my book!!

Favorite quotes:
“You manage what you measure.”
“What you do every day matters more than what you do once in a while.”

“Enthusiasm is more important than innate ability, it turns out, because the single more important element in developing an expertise is your willingness to practice.”

"By doing a little bit each day, you can get a lot accomplished."
"You can choose what you do; you can’t choose what you like to do."
"What you do everyday matters more than what you do once in a while."
"Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

“We hugged – for at least six seconds, which, I happened to know from my research, is the minimum time necessary to promote the flow of oxytocin and serotonin, mood-boosting chemicals that promote bonding.”

"Whatever love I might feel in my heart, others will see only my actions."

“Challenge and novelty are key elements to happiness. The brain is stimulated by surprise, and successfully dealing with an unexpected situation give a powerful sense of satisfaction.”

Herman Hesse. "Happiness is a how; not a what."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.