Tosh's Reviews > Mr. S: My Life with Frank Sinatra

Mr. S by George Jacobs

May 23, 2012

Perhaps THE white pop singer of the 20th Century. Frank Sinatra is very much like that century, totally brash, egotistical, insane with touch of genius. One can argue if he was the first recording artist to think of an album as a narration or even (gulp) concept album - but truly a great singer who knows a quality of a song. And "Mr. S" by his valet George Jacobs is not a book about the talent of Frank Sinatra, but nevertheless it is a great memoir or snapshot of a time that is long gone.

There is nothing damaging here about Sinatra, he slit his own throat many ways and times - no, this is a character study of a man who has lost a lot, and has the fear of losing more. He's the king, but the kingdom is very shaky. And when the chips were down and the emotional cloud took away the sunshine, that is the natural home of Sinatra. Kiss and Tell, perhaps, but the tone of the book is one of respect and at times great humor. Classic Kennedy family at its most devilish. Wonderful read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. S.

03/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Mmars (new)

Mmars Nice...Don't know that I'll ever read this, but you make me want to. After all, how many valets tell their side of things?

message 2: by Jinny (new)

Jinny Chung Hmm! Maybe I'll give it a go.

Tosh No maybe read it. You are not going to die by reading it. It is well-written, but keep in mind that Sinatra's work is the main thing - his recordings from the Capital records era. And yes, the Reprise years are good as well - but the hardcore classic is for sure the Capital records years. And the rest....is just entertainment.

message 4: by David (new)

David Is there anything about how much of a shit he was to Lauren Bacall?

Tosh Tons. He either treated people like heaven or treated them like hell. Sinatra was a sick man in my opinion. Not evil, but he was consistently hurt and very thin-skin when it came to anger and love. His genius was in his music, not in his life. I think he was totally bi-polar.