Michelle's Reviews > Longings of the Heart

Longings of the Heart by Bonnie Leon

Apr 16, 09

bookshelves: christianfiction, historicalfiction, forreview, forpleasure
Read in April, 2009

The first book, To Love Anew, made my favorite books list the year it released. This continuation of the Sydney Cove Series is amazing, too. Issues in this book, while presented in a historical setting, are things that people deal with today and apply to contemporary families. Things such as infertility, guilt, misplaced anger, jealousy, fear, and issues related to trust. The author applies just enough pressure and angst into the lives of her characters to keep you reading until you close the book. Her emotional scenes are moving and her conflict is realistic. I loved the marital tension, especially the romantic parts in the beginning. John is a dreamy husband, yet he is all man. I did get mad at him a few times, but c'est la vie.

The setting was also well done. I sweated right along with the characters and itched when they were bit by those stinking bugs, too. Overall I adored this story, and in particular I enjoyed how the story ended. I almost felt like giving a standing ovation to those brave souls. That scene was soooo well done. Then I got a sneak peek at the content in the third book and the conflict presented and I was like....WHAT!!! Now I have to read it and find out how John deals with the mess he finds himself in. Just when you think all is well down under...sigh. If only these characters didn't seem so real to me, then maybe it wouldn't BUG me so much that they find themselves in another seemingly impossible situation that only God can help them out of!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Longings of the Heart.

04/14/2009 page 133