Kelli's Reviews > Murder of Crows

Murder of Crows by Athena

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, fantasy, june-2012, urban-fantasy
Read from June 06 to 08, 2012

I received this book free from the Goodreads First-Reads program.

Fable Montgomery is a Muse. She lives in two worlds, ours and a place called Aria, although the latter comes as a shock even to her. Aria is comprised of fantastical creatures, most an interesting combination of human and animal.

Fable writes a story while in a trance. As soon as she finishes writing it, the events of the story start to take place in the real world, beginning with the loss of the story with the exception of thirteen pages. So begins the real heart of the story, as Fable must find a way to cheat her death as foretold at the end of her story and learn who she really is.

I absolutely loved this book. It reminded me a lot of Charles de Lint, who is one of my favorite writers. It is an epic story that sucked me in from the very beginning. Honestly, I can't believe that this is the author's first published novel---evidence that she has honed her craft well. There were a few typos and grammatical errors, but they are negligible and do not hinder the story in any way.

I am looking forward to reading more from this author and I can't wait to see what happens next!

I highly recommend this novel to anyone, especially lovers of Charles de Lint and epic urban fantasy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder of Crows.

Quotes Kelli Liked

Athena
“Life rarely works out the way you imagine...It plots when you're not looking.”
Athena, Murder of Crows