Book Sniffers Anonymous's Reviews > Her Forbidden Hero

Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye

May 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, romance, favorites
Read on May 24, 2012

Shortly after Alyssa's mother passed away, her father turned to the bottle for an escape. Her brother Brady took the brunt of their father's anger sparing her the physical pain. They escaped to Marco's house as often as they could and Marco always looked after Alyssa. Brady and Marco even put off going away after high school to stay in town, get an apartment and have Alyssa move in with them until she graduated and moved away to college. So needless to say her childhood was less than ideal and her two saviors were her big brother Brady and his best friend Marcos. She's always had a thing for Marco and now that she's back in town she's ready to see if there's anything between them.

Marco was discharged from the Army's Special Forces after coming across enemy fire. Like any soldier who witnesses a loss of one of his guys, he blames himself. He has nightmares every night where he relives that horrible day that costs him three of his men. Not only does his nightmares keep him from a full nights rest but his PTSD is an invisible wall that keeps everyone at arms length from him and that's how he likes it. So when Alyssa comes home and is nothing like the girl he remembered he is torn. He's definitely attracted to her but she's his best friends little sister.

Now maybe because I am a Marine wife I really gravitated to this story. I dealt with a husband who deployed to Iraq and luckily he was needed more at their base fixing the communication lines than out there in the hot zone with the enemy. We did lose one guy from our unit over there and my friend's husband came back blaming himself because the terrorist with the bomb was heading straight for him when the other Marine jumped in his path. So I can totally see how losing three of his men would royally screw Marco up. He feels like, "why should I live a happy and normal life when I'm at fault for the deaths of three of my men?" I really felt for Marcos as a character and even for Alyssa too who tried to help him through his demons.

Considering how short the book is at 151 pages, I thought Laura Kaye did an amazing job with the story. She kept the story on track and to the point. It's a story about two childhood friends who after everything that they've been through find solace in each other. If you love a good romance then look no farther!

Favorite quote...
"After all, he'd been in the United States Army Special Forces, fuck you very much. You might take the man out of the SF, you couldn't take the SF out of the man. He'd been up against some of the world's meanest and toughest. So, goddamn straight he could work his way around one young woman."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Forbidden Hero.

Quotes Book Sniffers Anonymous Liked

Laura Kaye
“After all, he'd been in the United States Army Special Forces, fuck you very much. You might take the man out of the SF, you couldn't take the SF out of the man. He'd been up against some of the world's meanest and toughest. So, goddamn straight he could work his way around one young woman.”
Laura Kaye, Her Forbidden Hero