Victoriab's Reviews > Matched

U 50x66
May 23, 12

bookshelves: mp4
I own a copy

The dystopian novel, Matched, by Ally Condie, portrayed a young teenager who lived in a life of control and no freedom. The main character, Cassia Reyes, awaited her turn to be “matched,” set up with a person she would spend the rest of her life with (essentially an arranged marriage), and is pleased to discover she is matched with her best friend, Xander. When she puts his data card into the port at her home, Ky Markham’s face appears for a quick second where Xander’s face should be, a glitch in the system. Cassia is assured it was just a mistake because Ky Markham is an aberration and therefore can never be matched. At a new hiking activity, Ky is also there and this along with the mistake on the data card makes Cassia curious and intrigued. She and Ky begin to share more and more with each other, he even teaches her how to illegally write in the old language that was banned years ago. Cassia and Ky fall in love with each other the more they spend time together, share secrets, and revisit illegal poems banned by the Officials. Cassia starts to detest the society more and more and begins to question why society controls their every move. When Ky is taken away to fight as a soldier in the war society is losing, Cassia becomes infuriated and plans to find him somehow, someway.
The Society in Matched tried to create a perfect society, but in the process, created a controlling and far from perfect - dystopia. Having such tight restrictions, like only 100 pieces of literature, made the society want to rebel, like trading illegal poems that aren’t of the 100. AS the novel progresses, Cassia’s personality becomes stronger and clearer. Instead of just following all of the unfair riles of the society, she begins to question certain things and piece together the manipulating ways that shape the dystopia. From where she works, who she marries, what music she listens to, what she eats, and even when she will die is controlled. Cassia sees more and more ways of rebelling against society; she faces the hardest choice of her life, to rebel for who she loves and try to make a life not determined by society.
I loved Matched, by Ally Condie, and can’t wait to read the next book in the trilogy. I could not put down the book it kept me wanting more every page. The futuristic sci-fi element, like the red tablet that causes memory of the past 12 hours to be erased, was cool and interesting. I liked to see how great the world I live in is compared to the terrible, controlling, manipulating society of Matched. I give Matched 5 out of 5 stars; I loved reading it and can’t wait to see where the adventure and romance goes!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.