Kathleen's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Sep 22, 08

Recommended for: Cooks :)
Read in January, 2006, read count: 5

I'm starting to feel a little hyperbolic - is it wrong to rate everything you put in here as 5 stars?? But - I personally, love this book. I've never seen the movie - I heard it was alright, but not great.

The book - I just love it. But maybe that is because I tend to love the whole Latin-American magical realism genre. The way the veil between living and dead is non-existent, the universally accepted emotional and supernatural cause and effect, the subconscious made into real daily life.

And the recipes, the deep importance and symbolism of food in daily life - that alone is enough reason to love this book. Maybe there are better books that flow more, are deeper. . I dunno. I reread this one every time I go to CA, and I'm just very fond of it. The pervasive idea that repressed and frustrated desire will always eventually be fulfilled, but may bring down the entire world when it is. . yep, read this one.

You'll look at your dinner differently after you do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.