Julia's Reviews > The Space Between Us

The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar

Jun 13, 12

Read in June, 2012

The settng for this story is modern day India and is told with the voice of Bhima, a grandmother & a domestic servant who leaves her shanty in the slums to work every day for another woman, Sera and her family, cooking & cleaning.

Despite the class differences that separate them, these 2 women are bound together over many years by the friendship they've nurtured and their life experiences. They have come to depend upon each other and trust each other, to the dismay of Sera's family who warn her that no good can come out of treating servants with respect and like friends.

Through an unfortunate incident, at the fault of Sera's son-in-law, Bhima is banished from her job, Sera's home and her friendship, unjustly. It just underscores the desparity and powerlessness of the poorer class of people in India.

This story reminded me a bit of Rohinton Mistery's books on life in India. I thought Ms. Umrigar's story was believable and real. It is easy to catch the feelings and emotions of her characters.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Us.

Susan This is my favorite of Umrigar's books. I recently read her memoir, First darling of the Morning, and it was very interesting to read about her relationship with her family's servant, who clearly served as the inspiration for Bhima.