Gavin Stephenson-Jackman's Reviews > The Last of the Wine

The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault

Jul 02, 12

liked it
Read from May 31 to July 02, 2012 — I own a copy

A very difficult read. Mary's writing style is very scholarly and not as flowing as one might expect from a more contemporary author. I'm thankful that I read some other Greek comedies and such in high school. It is also good that I still remember some of my ancient history. I at least have some knowledge of the Peloponnesian wars and the animosity between the Athenians and the Spartans.

The love between Lysis and Alexis is evident throughout the novel even though there is really no expression of the intimacy that one knows they must have shared. The clearest evidence of their love, for me, occurs in the latter part of the novel when the two men are found sleeping under shared cloaks as they flee Athens after the murder of Myron, Alexis' father. It is also clearly shown when Alexis, though injured himself, in the battle for Athens goes with the the body of his lover Lysis and is able to take some comfort from what he is able to do for his dead lover.

This is certainly not a book that I would recommend to just any reader, but if you have some knowledge or keen interest in ancient history Last of the Wine will be just for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last of the Wine.

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Andrews You gave the ending of the book away in your review. Thank you.