Gretchen's Reviews > Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean

Cat Daddy by Jackson Galaxy

961931
Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: cats, memoir
Read from June 14 to 20, 2012

I wanted to love this book; I really did. I am a fan of Jackson Galaxy's Animal Planet show, and I really appreciate him and his mission to help cats and other pets find forever homes and stay in homes once they are placed. However, this book was not my favorite.

I did understand going in that this was a memoir about how Jackson's relationship with his cat Benny helped him through a very difficult time in his life and helped him kick his addictions. At least, that's what I thought it was about. However, I have to say that I didn't really see this play out in the book. Mostly it seemed to be about Jackson and his drug and alcohol problem, and then every once in awhile he would come back to Benny briefly, and then go back to the addiction problem. I guess for me I didn't really see Benny as having a significant role.

The writing style was not my favorite either. Too many metaphors, and too much switching between past and present tense. Sometimes I got so bogged down in the overuse of figurative language that I had to really concentrate to figure out what was happening in the book. The organization of the book a lot of times was confusing to me -- is this a narrative or just a series of vignettes? Finally, I just had to sit down and pound through the last 50 pages just to get it over with.

I really respect Jackson Galaxy as a cat behaviorist, but he should definitely not quit his day job. But maybe now that he's gotten this memoir out of the way, a future book could focus more on cat behavior. Because I did enjoy the cat mojo tips that were sprinkled throughout the book.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat Daddy.

06/18/2012 page 190
63.0% "Interesting, but kind of all over the place."

FunkyPlaid A very accurate review that mirrors my own experience with this book. I actually found myself skimming the last chapter because it was so poorly constructed and penned.