Steven's Reviews > Murder on Bank Street

Murder on Bank Street by Victoria Thompson

Apr 05, 15

bookshelves: mystery
Read in April, 2015 — I own a copy

This 10th novel in the Gaslight Mystery series is the best one of the set. The star of the Gaslight Mysteries is Sarah Brandt, a midwife who gets tangled up in murder mysteries far too often. Sarah is a widow whose husband was murdered 3 years before the first Gaslight book, and whose murder was never solved. This is one of the main reasons why Sarah injects herself into murder investigations.

During the nine books leading up to this one, little by little Sarah and her friend and reluctant mystery-solving partner, Sergeant Frank Malloy, have learned about the murder, which by the time of the books is what we'd call a cold case, bit by bit. Frank starts by looking at the murdered doctor's files in an earlier book, and works with Sarah's father and some private detectives in later books, to slowly narrow down the suspect list to four. That's the way the stage is set when this novel begins.

Murder on Bank Street finally concludes the story, solving the now-four-year-old mystery for the reader. There are many ups and downs, twists and turns, as you come to believe first one suspect, then another, must be the guilty party. I must have changed my mind at least as many times as there are murder suspects, and at one point I guessed right, only to be convinced by new evidence that I had been wrong, and change my mind. Victoria Thompson kept me guessing until the end, as she has in most of the Gaslight novels.

If you enjoy a good period piece and a novel with strong and likable characters, then the Gaslight Mysteries are for you, and especially, Murder on Bank Street is for you. I strongly encourage people to read the books in order, however. You will have a hard time keeping up with the facts of the case and the character interactions otherwise. (Plus, they're all good books.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on Bank Street.

10/27
04/30 marked as: currently-reading
04/30
1.0% "The newest Gaslight Mystery is coming out in a few days... so to get ready, it's time to re-read the last 5 in the series."
05/03 marked as: read