Felicia's Reviews > The Spirit War

The Spirit War by Rachel Aaron

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2012

Soooo I seriously love this series. I just love it to death, and this book doesn't disappoint. We learn a TON about Josef, and get a lot of world-building context as the author builds towards the fifth (and final) book, released this fall. CAN IT BE NOW PLEASE?!

The tone of this one is a bit more serious than the previous ones, but it is definitely due, as the glibness of characters is stripped back to reveal WHY they're so glib, and what they're really hiding. And the ending...OMG THE ENDING I was like, "WHAT!?!?!" really really good.

There was a LOT of setup for the ending, but I see brilliance in the threads she's spinning, I'm so confident the ending book will blow my top off. If you like light-ish fantasy, you definitely need to read this series. The first book shows a bit of the newness of the author, but each of the subsequent books gets better and better and better. Characters + Great Worldbuilding = Wonderful series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit War.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson ooh we should read this for one of the vaginal fantasy hangouts im sure theres a fair few of us gamers love a thief lol. Though Im guessing if theres no sex Bonnie wont be happy lol

Felicia Jane wrote: "ooh we should read this for one of the vaginal fantasy hangouts im sure theres a fair few of us gamers love a thief lol. Though Im guessing if theres no sex Bonnie wont be happy lol"

Yeah, this is a great series but NO SEX and people hate that for some reason haha

message 3: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Ah, yes, the thief, a fantastic class for a maniacal laughter and joy. also, people hate that it has no sex because well....lots of unresolved sexual tension goes..unresolved really

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson has no one on here ever heard the expression 'no sex please were british!' seriously people just the sexual tension/smoulderyness on its own is enough! honest it can be! lol

Beth Meade I can't wait for this to come out, greatly enjoy this series.

message 6: by David (new)

David I just finished the first one, which I read entirely because it was at the top of an alphabetical list of books I had, and it was surprisingly class, I love Eli.

message 7: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan Carr Rachel Aaron is not only a great author, she's an inspiration! Her blog post on writing 10,000 words a day forced my brain to come up with a whole book series and made me drop everything and start writing book one, which I finished (first draft) in just two weeks! I can't wait for Book #5!

message 8: by Abhinav (new) - added it

Abhinav Will be reading the series next month :-)

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson I so want to read this series...when im going to fit in reading it im not quite sure lol