Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*'s Reviews > Finding Magic

Finding Magic by Stacia Kane

Jun 18, 12

Read from June 05 to 09, 2012

The Downside Ghosts series is my favorite. Not just of books, my overall favorite thing in life. (that may be a tiny exaggeration) So you know I liked this novella.

It is a little peek into Chess' life, during schooling and training. That poor girl can't catch a break. Her very first day of training, she gets to see 2 bodies strewn about a living room. That's enough to make anyone re-think their career choice. But she has something to prove, not just to herself but to the world. And she isn't about to let blood and guts and arms and legs stop her.

It is a fascinating look into her downward spiral into drugs and self loathing. Following her into The City for the first time as she discovers it isn't what she thought it would be, was probably her biggest motivator to not give up when she thought she was going to die. That realization, that death was not an escape, is what makes her stronger, and gives her to will to fight through each day, not matter what happens. Not just in this book, but in all her stories. I was a bit surprised she was not as self destructive as I had imagined her at that age.

Even though this is a prequel, I would not recommend reading this until after reading at least the first two, Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts) and Unholy Magic (Downside), as I don't think it would have as much meaning unless you already knew Chess.

The only reason this doesn't get 5 stars is because we don't really get to see Terrible. I mean, we shouldn't, not at this point in her life, but since he is my book husband (yes, we are married, back off) I want any glimpse into that world to include him.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Magic.

06/08/2012

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Now I'm really looking forward to it. Nice review. Since I read the series for Chess I might even like it more than you. :o)

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom You should have thrown in the 5th star for bringing terrible into your world...haha

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* Lol, good point. I can't wait to hear what you think.

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Probably end of next week or so. Doing Vampire now back to romantic suspense and then I should be ready for this and book 4. :) At least that is the present day plan.

Sarah (SB) ღ lol, but you should check with Emily before you claim wife-hood. She's pretty possessive of that boy ;)

Deidre Terrible us there, he's hiding in the shadows at the very end when she gets in that guys car.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* Deidre wrote: "Terrible us there, he's hiding in the shadows at the very end when she gets in that guys car."

Well technically yes, but would you really count that as him being in the book?