Haley Wood's Reviews > Bride of New France

Bride of New France by Suzanne Desrochers

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, reviewed-books, historical-fiction
Read in May, 2012

I received this book as a first-reads giveaway. The setting of this novel has the potential for a fantastic novel. Girls from the city sent to the cold wilderness and having to learn how to survive is an amazing setting. Unfortunately this novel is not that story. This is the story of a girl that I intensely disliked from the beginning of the novel to the end. I felt that Laure was willfully stupid, continuing to make bad decisions that upon any amount of reflection would be revealed to be wrong. As such it was impossible for me to empathize with her. I became angry, feeling that every bad thing that happened to her was her own fault and therefore she deserved none of my sympathy. She was cruel to the people around her, contributing to their unhappiness and demise. It is also important to note that it is more that halfway through the book before New France is actually explored. Because of the title of the book, I could easily guess that her stupid actions would cause her to end up in Canada. This makes the entire novel very predictable. I enjoyed the historical details of both France and Canada, so if you are interested in this time period it might be an interesting read for those details. Just don't read it expecting a main character you can root for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bride of New France.