Jennifer's Reviews > Please Look After Mom

Please Look After Mom by Kyung-sook Shin

May 23, 12

I own a copy

Kyung-sook Shin, in her English language debut novel, Please Look After Mom, crafts an emotional story about loss and the search for not just a family’s mother when she goes missing, but a deeper personal search for truth and understanding. Set in Seoul, South Korea, Shin places the reader amidst the modern day lives of the main characters as she tells, in rare second-person and from multiple perspectives, the story of a mother who disappears one day in a crowded subway station. I was moved by the ease with which Shin brought me into her story and could not help but begin to view my own relationship with my mother from a similar perspective. How little we relish the time we have with our families until that time is suddenly taken away by an unexpected, but very plausible, event. Shin’s characters are placed in such a situation and the range of emotions and revelations that they experience are sure to keep fiction fans’ attention to the end.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of Please Look After Mom through the Amazon VINE Program, for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Look After Mom.