Lena Hillbrand's Reviews > The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, believe-the-hype
Recommended for: anyone interested in life and human kind
Read from May 23 to June 09, 2012, read count: 1

It took me a while to read this book, and I'm not sure why. It's not very long, but it seemed really dense. I'm not sure I could have told you if I liked the book as I was hearing it, but somewhere towards the end, I just fell in love. I think it was when he told about the girl who went to Vietnam and became addicted to it. That part rang so true that the whole thing, all the talk about war stories and how they didn't have to be true, it all fell into place. I understood what he meant. Just as there is truth in fiction, truth to the stories, truth to the characters, so could a war story be true even if it wasn't, in the strictest sense, factual in all parts.
After the story of Maryanne (pardon if I'm a little off on names, I listened to this one so my spelling might not be correct), I wanted to hear all about the rest of the characters. And it was the characters who really made this story. It's not so much a story, in the linear-progression, plot-arc kind of way. But all the stories together made something beautiful. I wanted to hear all about Jimmy and Henry, about the suicides and the 'accidents,' about the medics and Tim and the shit-fields and, yes, the things they carried. It didn't matter a bit which parts actually happened.
Really the book wasn't so much about what happened or didn't happen, it was about the characters and about humanity, about maintaining humanity in the face of the most horrid circumstances, about finding joy in the sickest places imaginable, about the horror and pettiness and cowardice and beauty not of war, but of the human spirit and of life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Things They Carried.

05/23/2012
05/25/2012
20.0% "so far, so good."
06/04/2012
50.0% "the story of Maryann was captivating."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Wow, terrific review, Lena!! The way you describe things, the last paragraph in particular, are breathtakingly beautiful, and I simply MUST read this book!!:):)

Lena Hillbrand Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Hi, you are so very welcome, Lena!!

I hope so, too. Thank you.