Tom's Reviews > Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

May 25, 2012

Read from May 24 to 25, 2012

First of all me say that I am a hypocrite and I’ll explain why. This book is a crazy ride and the author did an awesome job getting into the heads of Caleb and Livie. Notice I didn’t say I loved?? How did I feel about it?? I don’t friggin know?

Hypocrite point one: Why 4 and not 5 stars? I will read anything with the most important thing being getting into the heads of my characters. Did the author do that? Hell yeah!! Did I drop a star because I wasn’t supposed to like it? I don’t think so. The first third of the book was a painful read. But painful meant I felt something right?? This book pretty much consumed me. It was the first book I read in a day. 4 and not 5???? The first third was just such a brutal read if this series turned out so awesome that I wanted to reread I wouldn’t read that part of the book. You would think they used drill bits and barbed wire the way I’m talking but no it was bad but it was more of an emotional beating that I’d rather not relive again. ( I’m a pleasure guy not pain. )

Caleb is sex slave trainer who sets his sights on Livvie as his next conquest to help his boss avenge a vendetta. After years in the trade he was on the verge of breaking out of it when a chance came to help his boss get to the billionaire that they have been after for 12 years. He sees it as a chance to repay his boss and finally break free from the debt he feels he owes him. Unfortunately it comes at the price of Livvie’s life.

Hypocrite point two: I never buy into the abusive bad boy being capable of a HEA. How can I feel anything for Caleb? Do I feel anything? I think there is hope. How can I?? Early on I didn’t. Not even sure why the author tried to make him sound like he had a heart. All I heard early was blah blah blah I’m a stinking savage prick!! Because part of the story is written in his POV is supposed to make me feel something. F him. Somehow I started to buy into it a little, which equates to a lot because he’s a scumbag no matter how he tries to rationalize what he did her. How could you do something like that? How could you read about something like that? ( oops never mind that was me)

Livvie is strong and I hope she gets to F somebody up. My heart ached, aches and will probably continue to ache for a little while for her.

Will I move on with the series?? I’ll have my TBR all set up and someone will come on and tell me how friggin awesome the next book was and I’ll probably shuffle the TBR and run off to Amazon. To be honest though I hope the reviews stink and I don’t have to read it. I would like to think that Livvie’s plan is going to work but I think she has some ugly road in front of her and I’m not sure I want to read about it.
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive in the Dark.

05/24
32.0% "It is quite the page turner. I'm not sure how I feel about this book yet but I certainly can't say I don't feel anything."
56.0% 5 comments
05/24
66.0% "Didn't see that coming!!"
05/25
88.0% "Okay I'm going to rewrite a nice happy ending from this point because I know I'm not going to like what's coming."
05/25
93.0% "I'm about to finish this book and I need a computer NOW!! No way to do this review on mobile...:("
07/12 marked as: read

Rhonda Great book, great writing!!

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Rhonda wrote: "Great book, great writing!!"

Didn't even read the synopsis. Saw a rant by a fellow GR friend and thought I'm going to check it out blind. :o)

Rhonda I will only say it is very dark, and the author can write her ass off!!

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Nice. I think it just went from soon to next...haha

Rhonda I'll be eagerly waiting to see what you think. ;)

Alexis *Reality Bites* I Loved this Tom!

message 7: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Alexis wrote: "I Loved this Tom!"

I think your review peaked my interest and then someone else chimed in and that's all it took...I have a very weak arm..haha I downloaded it and will probably start tonight or tomorrow.

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog this books is amazing. Yes it's dark but the writing is just brilliant.

Aestas Book Blog on the odd chance that it makes a difference to you Tom, I heard this has a cliffhanger ending. There is a second book apparently coming out in September.

message 10: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Jenny wrote: "this books is amazing. Yes it's dark but the writing is just brilliant."

Its official. Next it is!! Typical TBR OCD. 100 books on list and I move on to one I never heard of...haha. That's what I love about this site.

message 11: by Tom (last edited May 23, 2012 10:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Aestas **aka Crazinneldy** wrote: "on the odd chance that it makes a difference to you Tom, I heard this has a cliffhanger ending. There is a second book apparently coming out in September."

Thanks I'm already all in...haha. thanks again because I do usually wait but I'm plowing forward. I got more downside coming to help me get over it. :)

Aestas Book Blog LOL looking forward to hearing what you think of it... its been on my TBR for a while :)

Rachelle Enjoy the ride Tom!

~ Becs ~ Hope you love it Tom. I can't get it out of my head despite a really busy day at work - it just keeps creeping into my thoughts.

message 15: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie You know, Tom, I almost added this one just today! I'll be interested in your review! May have to add this one.

message 16: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Leslie wrote: "You know, Tom, I almost added this one just today! I'll be interested in your review! May have to add this one."

I am not going to pass judgement until I see where it is going. It is a serious page turner. Just picked it up today and it will probably be done tonight..lol

message 17: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

If you have kindle I own and can lend it if you need it.

Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog Great review Tom..this is the kind of book you guiltily LOVE! And yes...perfect example of when a book makes you FEEL!!!

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Loved the review Tom and agree with Gitte. This book certainly makes you feel. Is it all good? No, but it still makes you feel.

message 20: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Great, honest review, Tom! Wow!!

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) I have this one and want to read it, so I will wait on reading past the first few sentences of your review.

message 22: by Tom (last edited May 25, 2012 05:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "I have this one and want to read it, so I will wait on reading past the first few sentences of your review."

Believe it or not it is spoiler free except maybe hypocrite point two...haha. Its just a lot of yapping about how I felt. But I know what you mean. I don't like to get insight into a book I'm about to go into.

message 23: by Zeek (new)

Zeek yikers. I dont know if I could read this. Good on ya for stickin it out! :P

Alexis *Reality Bites* WoW Tom:) Loved the review! I think you are right Livvie has a rough road ahead, while i prefer my books to provide a HEA... i admit its hard to see one coming for her. Yes i will also admit to being one of those who will review book two b/cause i am so invested into Livvie's future and i love this authors style of having me locked in so bad i can't help but want to keep reading. Again Love the review!!!!

~ Becs ~ I see you are as conflicted as I was when I read this one. Don't you think this shows the power of the writing that you can throw over deeply held principles and start to feel for the predator?

message 26: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Becs wrote: "I see you are as conflicted as I was when I read this one. Don't you think this shows the power of the writing that you can throw over deeply held principles and start to feel for the predator?"

Every one of those stars went to the writer and very little went to my enjoyment of the book. I felt so much during and after that is why I rated it as high as I did.

message 27: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Zeek wrote: "yikers. I dont know if I could read this. Good on ya for stickin it out! :P"

Yeah its not one of those books that just because its powerful doesn't make it a must read. I can imagine that some people will be able to separate some of what went on and not have as bad a time of it as I did. I can imagine that a woman's POV or a sick male POV would have an easier time with some of the "training".

message 28: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Alexis wrote: "WoW Tom:) Loved the review! I think you are right Livvie has a rough road ahead, while i prefer my books to provide a HEA... i admit its hard to see one coming for her. Yes i will also admit to bei..."

I hear what your saying with being invested. I want Livvie to have some kind of happy ending. I was really pulling for her and think she's pretty smart...but arrrggg. I'm sure I'll be moving on but will do so when in "right" frame of mind?? Not sure how that's going to work...haha

~ Becs ~ I've read a few non-con style slavery stories and very few of them affected me like this one. Most of them hit way too many triggers for me personally and made me uncomfortable.

message 30: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom (view spoiler)

message 31: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom I need a nice book about puppies and rainbows to detox...haha

~ Becs ~ Tom wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

I can't even say why certain books upset me and others don't. I guess it's just another example of how reading is so very and deeply personal.

I've moved onto light and fluffy, romantic and hot and heavy. Works for me!

message 33: by C.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.J. Roberts Poor Tom; I've scrambled you all up inside. I'd apologize, but I think you liked it. You liked it didn't you? Naughty. Just...naughty. =P Great review.

Oh, and...LOVE YOU RHONDA!

Rhonda CJ,
XOXOXOXO

message 35: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom CJ wrote: "Poor Tom; I've scrambled you all up inside. I'd apologize, but I think you liked it. You liked it didn't you? Naughty. Just...naughty. =P Great review.

Oh, and...LOVE YOU RHONDA!"

Actually I am naughty but this is not my kind of naughty. :) Every one of those stars was for keeping me engaged in something I really wasn't comfortable with.

Rhonda Tom, I think anyone who has read this and has given it high marks feels just like you. It's hard to ignore the talent.

Kristin (KC) What an amazing review...i totally feel your anguish! And i definitely want to read! Thanks :)

message 38: by Tom (last edited May 28, 2012 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Kris wrote: "What an amazing review...i totally feel your anguish! And i definitely want to read! Thanks :)"

Noooo. Go ahead and read it but not because of meeeee!!!...have someone else take the wrap.

Kristin (KC) Haha... Nope. I'm holding you responsible :P

~ Becs ~ I'll take the wrap - read it Kris. Read it and weep...........like me and Tom!!

message 41: by Tom (last edited May 28, 2012 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Becs wrote: "I'll take the wrap - read it Kris. Read it and weep...........like me and Tom!!"

Its official. Becs taking the wrap. :)

message 42: by AJ (last edited Jul 08, 2012 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Great review Tom!! I've been seeing this one around a lot, and wondering about it. Think I might have to give it a go now - as long as I have puppies and rainbows available to follow up with, right?

Michelle [Helen Geek] Tom - fabulous review. You could so feel your conflict and I appreciate that. For me, the "out of the box" is worth more than chocolate on a PMS day! Hopefully not a daily dose, but right when it's the right time ... hmmm. Confusing myself now. Need chocolate!

message 44: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Haha...hmmm chocolate!!

message 45: by R.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.E. Hunter Do I want to read this Tom?

message 46: by Tom (last edited Jul 31, 2012 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Rose wrote: "Do I want to read this Tom?"

Ugghhhh...Did you read the review???!!! I had someone in this link tell me thanks for the recommendations and I was like this is not a recommendation it is what I went through!!! Honestly this is going to depend on the second book. A friend of mine that knows how I felt about this book told me that I am going to love the second book. The part I didn't like is not because I'm a prude or it was to brutal for my fragile mind I just thought it was drug out to the point it was getting hard to read. It is rape\torture nothing consensual. IMO I'd wait till the second book is out soon and I can keep you busy till then... :o)

message 47: by R.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.E. Hunter Tom wrote: "Rose wrote: "Do I want to read this Tom?"

Yes read the review lol and loved your honesty. I just have seen so many people reading and recommending it I wasn't sure about it. When I first read the synopsis I wasn't interested at all. I'll def hold out until after the second book and see if it's worth it. Thanks :)

Lady Heather I want to read this book, but you kinda scared me Tom with the pleasure and pain comment. I too prefer pleasure to pain, and Livvie sounds like she'll affect me too ( I really don't like the 'ache' thing..especially if it last a LONG time)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I barely noticed you read this book, Tom! It's on my to-read list but I haven't had the time or the nerve to give it a go. The nerve is getting stronger! [Note to self: sandwich this book between two gushy romance novels.]

Terrific and honest review, Tom! ;)

Susanna I have this already on my kindle but I'm too scared to read it! Hahah.......I keep avoiding it and picking light hearted books. So why do I have it?!!

« previous 1