William Bentrim's Reviews > Summoning the Night

Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett

May 23, 12

Read in May, 2012

Summoning The Night by Jenn Bennett

This book was given 4.5 stars by Romantic Times Book Reviews. Now I don’t know the folks at Romantic Times and this is not intended to be critical but most guys would be somewhat put off with that accolade. Up front, I enjoyed the book and I avoid romance novels like the plague. The book involves a witch and her single father boyfriend demon as hey face an evil wizard and disappearing children.

Ms. Bennett takes an unlikely scenario and populates it with likeable and believable characters. The protagonists are not super hero/heroine types. They have foibles and faults and quirks. They do dumb things and pay for them. A great plot can be dragged down with crass characters just as a pool plot can be bolstered by great characterizations.

This is by no means a poor plot; it has some substance and provides a strong level of mystery. You find yourself enjoying the mystery and those of you who are leery of the supernatural, it is more like the icing than the cake. This book is a very good mix that produces a very palatable read. Hmm, it is approaching dinner time, I find my food references increase in dramatic proportion to my appetite.

I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summoning the Night.