mari's Reviews > The Day the World Ends: Poems

The Day the World Ends by Ethan Coen

May 23, 12

bookshelves: poetry
Read in April, 2012

As I have mentioned before, I am not a frequent reader of poetry. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time I had read any poetry before this month. I was a little apprehensive above agreeing to review this collection of poetry but was willing to give it a try when I saw who the poet was and also remembered that April was National Poetry Month.

So, first, the poet. Ethan Coen. One half of the Coen Brothers who are responsible for some of my favorite movies: Fargo, Burn After Reading, Raising Arizona! Love these. Of course, there are many more. The quirkiness in these movies is what I was hoping to find in Ethan Coen's poetry. I wasn't disappointed.

In fact, not only quirky these were also a little twisted and crazy. I had a lot of fun reading some of these to the hubby. We both would either find ourselves laughing hysterically or completely silent with mouths hanging open at the wrongness of what I had just read.

If you are interested in reading this interesting collection of poems, beware. There is profanity and some... questionable topics. If that doesn't bother you..be ready for some entertainment, and limericks!
Mixed in amongst these are a few shareable poems that are quite nice and give another view into Coen's mind. Here is one:

Smart

They hurl their lightening bolts at me.
I duck- and dodge- and feint- and flee.
The great contend; the mighty strive;
The slippery, like me, survive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day the World Ends.