Lisa's Reviews > Casey Barnes Eponymous

4020044
May 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012, cute, funny, sweet-romantic, y-a
Read on May 23, 2012

Hallelujah. Neither the original Leonard Cohen song that regardless of its title was melancholic, nor the Jeff Buckley cover that despite a more harmonious feel was still less than jubilant. Just simple, old-fashioned, let's par-tay, hallelujah.

There is something always satisfying about finishing an entertaining contemporary Y.A book. I really did enjoy this.

Casey Barnes is a girl who likes to make playlist's for people, even people she's not friends with. Just people in her school. I found this quirk of hers to be both endearing and obnoxious. And I think in a way, Casey is a character who is both endearing and obnoxious. Obnoxious in a she-probably-means-well-but-shes-being-a-bit-of-an-idiot kind of way, which ends up being endearing.

She took out a box of double stuff Oreos, brought them to the kitchen table, and began eating one in the only manner any human should ever eat a double-stuff Oreo: by licking out the white stuff and tossing the half-eaten chocolate bits in the kitchen sink.

Casey loves music and plays guitar. She writes songs about everything and has a great sense of humour. She spends a couple of days with a boy named Alex Deal before he calls her up and says they shouldn't really hang out anymore. When school starts up again, she has to deal with seeing Alex. Which she does with a strange coolness and slightly awkward conversations. (view spoiler)

Casey's hand slipped. She gulped and looked up. It was her library period and Alex Deal was, suddenly, standing in front of her. "I'm sorry but there will be no autographs today," she said. "If you're desperate you can try going through the label or management."

I liked that this book was actually funny. It got genuine smiles out of me and almost-giggles, which rarely happens to me while reading. I also liked that Casey wasn't a complete idiot when it came to boys. She's a normal kind of idiot but she's not one of those crazy ones who fall madly in love. I liked how the book reminded me of "My so-called life", with a character than reminded me of Juno.

The Mother Fuckers. That was not their real name. But it was what Casey called them.

I really enjoyed this and think it deserves to be published as an actual book. I even love that ebook cover! (Even though I've recently bought a pair of lo-top chucks which have been giving me blisters. Hi-tops my feet love but for some reason, lo-tops make me feet angry). So yeah, I'd recommend it to any kindle readers looking for a contemporary Y.A with personality.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casey Barnes Eponymous.

05/23/2012