Kristen's Reviews > Winter Garden

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

May 23, 12

Read in May, 2012

When I finished this book on the plane yesterday, I had three words to describe it. Hm, let's see if I can remember what they were. Heart-wrenching, mystical, and relate-able? Maybe something like that. Anyway, on my way to California, I made friends with the older guy sitting next to me. The turbulence was absolutely DREADFUL. I leaned over to him at one point and was like, "well, I guess I don't need to go to Disneyland anymore..." it really was that bumpy. After a while, I pulled out this book and started reading. I was bawling my eyes out by page 50. The guy turned to me and was like, "are you ok? The turbulence is almost over..." Sweet man! He thought I was sick from the plane! Since, after all, what goober starts crying over a book? I do. I really got into this story. I felt like Kristin Hannah (awesome name by the way if she would spell it right) did an amazing job connecting readers to the characters. The experiences they go through made me feel like I was going through them. It really was well told. I loved it.

However, there were a couple things I had questions about. Like the whole red coat deal...what was up with that?? How could the ending possibly have happened?? Why was her daughter alive?? She found her coat! With blood! And the ending was a bit too neatly packaged for me, though I know after all the things these people went through, they deserved to have such wonderful endings. I'm especially happy for Meredith. Her relationship with her husband was hurting my heart.

But even though there were some things I am rather incredulous about and have my own opinions, I was captured throughout the entire story. I loved how the mother spoke in fairy tales. I learned about similar coping mechanisms in my Jews and the Holocaust class. One Holocaust survivor could only tell his tale by writing a comic (not funny of course) of the Holocaust through the eyes of a mouse. I loved that. And I loved how the narration refers to her as "Mom". They don't refer to her as Anya, even though all the other characters are named in the book. I thought that was really awesome imagery, since she is not really named "Anya". Very cool. So yes. Read this book! It is heart wrenching, so don't make the mistake I did and read this is in a super public place. And wear waterproof mascara.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Garden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie I think that is the coolest book review I have read in a long, long time :) You crack me up!!!!

Kristen Thanks Angie! I didn't think anyone really read my reviews, so I kind of just blab on and on...:)I hope you're doing well!