Erin's Reviews > The Girls of Slender Means

The Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark

Apr 19, 10

bookshelves: 1001-books-to-read-before-you-die, 2010
Read from April 14 to 19, 2010

This is the 2nd story by Spark that I’ve read, and I enjoyed it even less than the 1st one.

Her manner of repeating certain phrases and lines as a way to strengthen her points is just annoying and repetitive. It’s almost as if she either feels her readers are not too bright, or she herself wants to remember and makes such a huge point of something that it actually gets overbearing. I also find her writing to be very disjointed and confusing at times. How many times do I have to read about Jane and her “brain-work?”

Besides all that, the story was boring, with no likable characters. As I read it, I kept wondering “Why should I care about any of the self-involved, egotistical twits?” The only reason I actually finished it because I kept reading reviews that mentioned a shocking ending. I needed some sort of reward for muddling through this. But….it was actually so lackluster that I was even more disappointed that I had finished it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls of Slender Means.