Woodge's Reviews > mental floss presents Condensed Knowledge: A Deliciously Irreverent Guide to Feeling Smart Again

mental floss presents Condensed Knowledge by Will Pearson

Dec 18, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, history
Recommended for: knowledge-junkies and ignorant doofuses
Read in December, 2008

This compendium of factoids is a fun read but probably not something you'd read all at once. It's kind of like a bathroom reader (not that I'm doing that). And in fact, I did read this in several chunks over a span of months. Topics include art, history, science (biology, chemistry, physics, etc), pop culture, religion, economics, philosophy, and so forth. And it's written in a cheeky manner with all sorts of fun sidebars. I learned a lot! I remember some! Here's one thing sort of apropos from the religion section I picked up: Did you know there was a legend about a Persian god named Mithra that predates Jesus by centuries. Well, legend has it that Mithra was born of a virgin on December 25 and was visited by sheperds and magi. He had 12 disciples, healed the sick, and cast out devils. He rose again around the vernal equinox (March 21) and ascended into heaven. Sounds somewhat familiar, no?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read mental floss presents Condensed Knowledge.

12/17/2008 page 292
82.95% "(I am SO smart!)"
12/17/2008 page 292