Kimberly's Reviews > The Princess and the Hound

The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison

May 23, 12

Read in May, 2012

I met the author at an event for my children's school. I really like fairy tale-esque books and decided to give this book a try.

I thought this story was very original. I had no idea what was going to happen. It is not a re telling of an old story. Rather a unique story that was waiting to be told.

I found the characters were easy to like. Even the "evil" people were easy to relate too. I really enjoy that in a book, especially one with an element of fantasy. I appreciate that people, even those who can do something fantastical, are still people to the core. I appreciated the dynamics between characters, as well as the factors of how people can change and how some just don't.

I do want to emphasize that I don't think one should read this with the idea that it is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It is not. But there are characteristics that the two stories share. A person, a sorcerer or magician, did meddle with changing others into things that are not human. There is royalty, and there is love that is felt between two unlikely people. There are probably more similarities, but the plot is not the same.

I thought the story is well written, and a book that young and old can enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess and the Hound.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I've had this one on my shelf for a while, so glad to see it's a good one!