Misfit's Reviews > The Exiles

The Exiles by William Stuart Long

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: australia, ill-it
Read from June 10 to 24, 2012

The Exiles is the first in a twelve book series based on the founding of Australia (then New South Wales). Jenny Taggert and her mother are forced out of their farm on the death of her father and head for London in hopes of obtaining employment. I'll not spoil, but life in the big city has its little ups and downs and when she's fifteen, Jenny finds herself falsely accused of a crime, and eventually shipped off to New South Wales with the first group of ships carrying convict labor to the new colony.

I think we all know the bare bones about the convict transports, but I hadn't realized the scope of the difficulties involved. Even those that did survive the voyage, there's still the difficulty of taming the land, especially when the majority of the convicts were thieves and murderers who only knew how to survive in the city. Despite some of the details getting a little carried away (to be expected in longer series), this was a good solid read for me, and made especially so by Jenny's character and positive outlook on life no matter what setbacks life threw her. No whining victim here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exiles.

06/13/2012 page 42
06/17/2012 page 75
11.0% "Wish I'd read more of this at the gym. It was so humid in there today I could only take 20 minutes of cardio. Even with the fans on :/" 2 comments
06/18/2012 page 120
17.0% "Things are looking pretty rough for Jenny right now. Not such a happy fifteenth birthday."
06/19/2012 page 160
23.0% "The voyage to New South Wales begins. I suspect it's going to be a bumpy ride." 10 comments
06/19/2012 page 275
41.0% "Jeremiah Leach, you are a mean 'un."
06/19/2012 page 289
43.0% "For the Lord's sake, what are you creating such a fuss about? A baby with no father, born out of wedlock to a streewalker...damned in the eyes of the Lord? The wages of sin are death, you hussies-and here's proof it you need it!

Bastard :/

"
06/20/2012 page 388
57.0% "Definitely not an easy life, and not just the convicts. How do you build a colony with no supplies and little food with a labor force made up mainly of drunks and thieves, the majority of which are towns people with no idea how to work a farm or build a home?"
06/21/2012 page 471
70.0% "Gah. Poor Jenny just doesn't get a break in life, does she? Just when things were looking up..." 4 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Did you get them all Misfit? Im only missing one as I refuse to pay $23.00!!

Misfit Hi Sandi, I have two so far. I checked my local online store and they have eight of the other ten I need (including the first volume). I can walk in and get them from the catalog for around $1.90 a pop. Might do that this afternoon.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "Hi Sandi, I have two so far. I checked my local online store and they have eight of the other ten I need (including the first volume). I can walk in and get them from the catalog for around $1.90 a..."

You go!!! I have them all except the second last one....have it on my amazon used book wish list..Im lurking for a price drop :)

Anna I liked #1, it was very interesting. I abandoned #2 though as it was way too plodding for me. I see you’ve been busy adding the whole series – I’ll lookout for your reviews when you read them, see if it’s worth me trying #3.

Misfit Somehow I managed to get most of them yesterday but #1, which the store did have. I've Ill'd it and should be able to get it. The county adjacent to my county has a copy on the shelf.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Anna wrote: "I liked #1, it was very interesting. I abandoned #2 though as it was way too plodding for me. I see you’ve been busy adding the whole series – I’ll lookout for your reviews when you read them, see ..."

Do you have the whole series Anna? What didnt you like about book 2? Too much detail?

Anna No, I only ever had the first two. Book 1 was very good, starting in England getting to know Jenny, then moving onto the horrors of the deportation, and then following them as they tried to settle into the strange and harsh new land. For me, book 2 didn’t go anywhere; the characters were a bit melodramatic, and the story became repetitive. I was disappointed to abandon it, as the whole series looked promising.

Like I said before, I'll be interested in what you two think of them, see if it's worth me getting book 3 and trying again.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* That is disapointing when your all set for a great series,sometimes book 1 is best left as is in some of them..either I or Misfit will get around to this one and will let you know.

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" These look interesting. I started Connie Mason's Australia trilogy... I knew some of Australia's history, but not nearly the amount depicted in the Bold Land, Bold Love... I'm assuming I'll have to get these from the library... looking forward to your review... I love a good sweeping epic.

Misfit You see how many books there are in this series? Ayiee!

Misfit Another one I have on the pile is All The Rivers Run, and I think it's first in a shorter series.

All the Rivers Run by Nancy Cato

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" Misfit wrote: "You see how many books there are in this series? Ayiee!"

too many.... I made it through Louis L'Amour's Sackett books, but those were short. (I totally think you would like those if you like Westerns - I couldn't put them down once I started them)

Misfit Oh I love western settings, but I'm afraid to start *real* westerns. I might get hooked and that's the last thing I need.

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" Misfit wrote: "Oh I love western settings, but I'm afraid to start *real* westerns. I might get hooked and that's the last thing I need."

I didn't get hooked really... I stopped when I finished the series... There was just something about his story-telling that kept me reading. Lonesome Dove has been calling my name as of late. I didn't feel the need to gobble up the rest of L'Amour books or start reading Zane Grey. I have yet to pick up a James Michener book (although my mom has tried to get me to read his works for years) We have all of those because my husband reads that genre.

Misfit Michener needs to be taken in small doses, he's got a style of jumping ahead and starting again with all new characters. Same as Edward Rutherford. I can only take so much.

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" I just can't deal with spending 3 pages on a sunset (or so it seemed on the one book I did pick up)

message 17: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I haven't finished the Poldgark's saga and now it comes another series of 12 books.

Misfit I know. I have three cooking right now. This one, the Windhaven books and the Angelique books.

message 19: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura It'll never end, no matter what.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Laura wrote: "It'll never end, no matter what."

That's the problem with all these series we have,and for me I added on the Morland Dynasty :0...I sometimes feel like a kid sitting in the back seat..."are we there yet?" :(

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* So...good enough to continue the series?

Misfit Definitely. Jenny was a compelling enough character that I want to know more.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Whew..nice to know when you have collected them all:)

Misfit Oh I know. I'm always dumb enough to pick up a whole series without even reading the first book.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "Oh I know. I'm always dumb enough to pick up a whole series without even reading the first book."

Your not alone..what do we think,the whole series will be a stand out like the first? Yes.We.Do.:D

Misfit We are pathetic, aren't we? :p

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Misfit wrote: "We are pathetic, aren't we? :p"

I dont think we are asking for much :D

message 28: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow Thank you for your review. I love the idea of reading about Australia. :)

Misfit Willowfaerie wrote: "Thank you for your review. I love the idea of reading about Australia. :)"

You are welcome. The history is interesting and I'm looking forward to more.

message 30: by Nona (new) - added it

Nona I might have to stop reading your reviews, everytime I do the book gets added to my wishlist then to my TBR mountain when it arrives andthen I spend hours debating which book to read... you really make it hard! lol
I've not read very many books on the convicts shipped to Australia or Australia period for that matter so this will open a whole knew subject field for me and imagine that it's another long series, yippy!
Are these able to stand alone or space them apart?

Misfit I know at the end of this one there is more to Jenny's story and I do want to keep reading, but I wasn't jumping at the bit to get started if that makes sense.

If you just want to get your feet wet, you might look at Sara Dane.

Sorry to corrupt your reading piles. Ignore me on July 4th. There's a big FOL sale I'm going to.

message 32: by Nona (new) - added it

Nona lol ignore you after a FOL sale!? your kidding right?

I'll look for Sara Dane. I guess I lied as I read a book on Ned Kelly but it was a bit different.

message 33: by Lolly's Library (new)

Lolly's Library This sounds interesting, but, like you, I want to get all the books in a series before even starting on the first one and, with this, I doubt I'd be able to find any of the books... without tracking all of them down online and spending a fortune buying from multiple sellers that is. I was lucky once in getting an entire series of older novels all in a single swoop from a used bookstore and I seriously doubt lightning will strike again.

message 34: by Misfit (last edited Jul 27, 2012 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Misfit I was lucky enough to find these either via FOL sales or a local online seller. The libraries do have these, check with your library and ask about interlibrary loan. You would be surprised what they can get for you, and half the fun is seeing where the book came from I've had stuff come from Alaska, the East coast, college libraries and even a Benedictine Abbey in Oregon. Only once have I had to pay a lending fee. I am very, very lucky to live in a county with an exceptional library system.

ETA: a good gauge to find out how easily you'll get a book via ILL is worldcat.org. If tons of US libraries have it, chances are excellent. If no one in the US has it listed on World Cat, don't even bother. I've had about two or three responses from ILL requests that they tried, but couldn't get it.

@Nona, somehow I missed your comment, sorry I didn't respond earlier. Sra Dane is pretty good. Not great, but a good solid read.

message 35: by Lolly's Library (new)

Lolly's Library Our FOL sales are pretty pathetic around here, along with the library system. I'll check, but I seriously doubt my library has this series.... Just looked and, yup, I was right: My library system doesn't have a single book by this author. I can try asking about ILL the next time I go in, but my system is notoriously difficult to work with. I tell you, I live in the most book-unfriendly area; not only is there just a single used bookstore to service the area (approx. a 20-square-mile area), the library system is very poor in content, though the librarians try to do their best. Thanks for the info about worldcat.org; a lot of libraries have this series, or at least the first book, so perhaps I'll get lucky with a ILL. Otherwise, this'll just have to sit on my TBR list, lonely and neglected. LOL

Misfit That is too bad, I can't even imagine. There are smaller libraries that do participate in ILL, so do ask. I've even got ILLs from small towns on the Oregon coast so you never know. King County has an online request form, just fill it out and send it off. I either get an email saying we tried and can't (very rare), or the book shows up on my hold list.

The used stores around here are awesome with lots of fun choices. There's even an online seller not far from me, and they'll let you walk in and get anything in the online catalog. If they're selling a book for $3.75 including S&H, my walk in price is around $1.89. Not bad. And then there's The Tacoma Book Center where you can even find multiple copies of the Angelique books laying around, http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/10...

message 37: by Lolly's Library (new)

Lolly's Library I know and that's what makes my situation so pathetic. I mean, the Catawba County Library System isn't the smallest, but it's not huge either. Yet, when I lived out in CO, in a small town called Hotchkiss (which had a population of about 800 in 1993), the library there was tremendous as far as ILLs, probably because they were so small. I know my library tries its best, but it's backwards in many ways. There's an online form I can fill out, but I have to pay for any postage fees; frankly, if I'm going to do that, I might as well buy the damn book. You'd think they'd be more amenable to ILL.

Man, I hate you. Just kidding, but, really.... I've been a fan of the Pacific NW for years, but the more I hear about the area, the more I wish I could move out there. I read an article in Saveur about the food cart "metropolis" in Portland (I know, not your area and not on the subject) and I nearly grabbed my cat and jumped in my car right then and there.

Those used bookstores sound awesome, especially the online one. You are truly lucky. (And that series I mentioned? It happened to be the Angelique novels. Sadly, we moved and I had to get rid of them before I was able to read them.)

Misfit They make you pay for postage? Egads. Never, ever have I been asked to do that, only if the lending library asks for a "lending fee". From what I've experienced, I'd assume it's a good way for smaller libraries to get access to the catalogs of the larger places. You pay my postage, I'll pay yours.

I know I'm very lucky, and even with budget cutbacks in so many other areas of the county they have not cut back on the library. Still remodeling and improving, still buying the latest stuff. Their online catalog of both new and old is to die for, plus the kindle lending catlog now as well. They have something they call "Central Storage" and there's tons of older OOPs sitting around. You just place your hold and choose what branch to pick it up and 2-3 days later it's waiting on the holds shelf.

Portland is a beautiful city, and do go and Google the Columbia River Gorge and Historic Highway east of the city. One of my favorite places ever. And Oregon doesn't have sales tax :)

Oh, speaking of Portland there's also the very famous Powells Books. I still haven't had the guts to go in there. Too dangerous.

message 39: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie In order to provide the latest and greatest for their customers, library systems may be cutting back in other areas. Maybe even yours, Misfit. They may hire for positions through temp agencies that don't get any benefits and lower wages than the equivalent county/city-paid position. They can be laid off at a moment's notice. It sucks for them, but the customers love the library.

Misfit Kerrie wrote: "In order to provide the latest and greatest for their customers, library systems may be cutting back in other areas. Maybe even yours, Misfit. They may hire for positions through temp agencies that..."

Thanks for the input, Kerrie, always helpful to hear back from those who have experience in *the back rooms*. I don't know about staffing/payroll (although they do offer job openings on the library's website), but my comments were more in line that they aren't cutting back on hours they are open (as the City of Seattle has), nor on new books being purchased.

message 41: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie Yeah, in order to upgrade services on the front end for customers with the same amount of money (or less money, if the budget was cut), the cutbacks have to come from somewhere. More paperbacks may be bought instead of hardcovers, even though PBs don't last as long and fall apart within a couple years. And it's not unheard of for staff to have to take unpaid furlough days as a budget saver, which of course shoves the same amount of workload for that day onto less staff.

message 42: by Lolly's Library (new)

Lolly's Library Misfit wrote: "They make you pay for postage? Egads. Never, ever have I been asked to do that, only if the lending library asks for a "lending fee". From what I've experienced, I'd assume it's a good way for smal..."

Yup. And, yes, I know my library is suffering from budget woes just the same as many other systems around the country, but it seems to me the CCLS has always been behind the curve. Granted, I've only lived in the area for the past 7 years, so I don't know for certain, but that's the vibe I get. That said, the librarians I've worked with have all been super great at trying to help me within the system, so while I miss the libraries in Orlando (where I spent my childhood and is awesome) and Cleveland (which is surprisingly good considering the city sucks), I try not to complain too much about my current library. I try. I don't always succeed. :D

Oh, I know about Powells. I signed up for their newsletter once upon a time and trawling through that was enough to make me drool. I think if I actually got the chance to walk into the store, I'd probably have a book-gasm. LOL

That's right, I forgot about the no sales tax in Oregon. I tell you, if I had the money, I'd be so tempted to pack up the car, stuff Ramses in his carrier, put the rest of my stuff in one of those PODS, and move my butt out there. It may sound weird, but I've been dreaming of moving out to Oregon for, oh, I'd say about 20 years. I loved living in CO--where we lived was in between the mesas and the mountains, on the western side of the state, and it was absolutely beautiful. But I wanted to have the ocean as well and the coastal area of Oregon appeared to fulfill all those desires. And while Portland's inland, it'd still be a nice day trip from someplace like Astoria, giving me the best of all worlds. Can you tell I've put a lot of thought into this? ;D

message 43: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) Lolly, I have to ask, are you in Catawba, NC? My husband's eldest niece went to the college there.

It's funny you also mention Orlando, that's where we live. I'm not saying it's the worst system, and we all know who has the best (wink,wink), but it does fall short in some areas. I know they've been hit hard with cutbacks, just slightly worse than the school system. ILL is not easy, they'll get one book of a series, not always the first of the series, and that's it, in any format. I can't figure out their selection system, some things just make no sense to me. Hopefully things will get better as the economy improves and get back to what I remember a decade ago and to what you remember.

Misfit, Ron and I enviously watched that video of the Tacoma Center bookstore and don't think all our used bookstores put together could add up to that one store. So unfair ;o}

Misfit Kerrie wrote: "Yeah, in order to upgrade services on the front end for customers with the same amount of money (or less money, if the budget was cut), the cutbacks have to come from somewhere. More paperbacks may..."

I haven't seen or heard of any of that happening here. In other county operations, yes, but not the library.

Oregon has the best coast ever. Yachats and Bandon are my favorites.

You should have seen Michele and I when we walked in there. Book-gasm is probably the best word for it. The prices aren't always dirt cheap, but then again I walked out with a copy of Angelique for about $3 and found the same edition listed on Amazon for $100.

message 45: by Lolly's Library (new)

Lolly's Library Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "Lolly, I have to ask, are you in Catawba, NC? My husband's eldest niece went to the college there.

Catawba County, NC, yes; I live in the town of Conover. Which college, CVCC or Lenoir Rhyne?

Well, I'm sure the Orlando library has been hit with hard times along with the rest of the country. To be honest, most of my regard for the library comes from my childhood memories, of walking into that cavernous downtown building, with it's cold, almost Gothic grey stone walls, and trundling down into the basement where the children's section reposed. Not to mention the large room set aside exclusively for the FOL book sale, which is heavenly compared to what we've got here. I don't know that libraries will ever return to what you or I remember, but I do hope they'll eventually get the funds they deserve and not the shut-downs which hang over their heads like the sword of Damocles.

@Misfit: Believe me, I've been drooling over Oregon's coastline for years, starting with The Goonies. I watched that movie when I was child (and still do, it's a favorite) and wished I could find my own pirate treasure. Sadly, growing up in FL, all I had were sandy, flat coastlines which were very much lacking those lovely rocky spurs so important to the movie's plot. ;D

message 46: by Lolly's Library (new)

Lolly's Library Oh, and as far as your Tacoma Book Center, I think I could happily camp out there and live the rest of my life among the shelves. The closest thing we had to that here was a store called Wonderland Books. It was pretty big, I'd say about 1700 sq. ft., but the owner was an idiot, a retired dentist, not a book man, and sold it and the contents off because he didn't know how to run the business. If he hadn't been asking an arm and a leg for the place, I'd have found a way to buy it. I would've had to sell my soul to the bank to do so, but it would've been worth it. LOL

Misfit Lolly's wrote: "Oh, and as far as your Tacoma Book Center, I think I could happily camp out there and live the rest of my life among the shelves. The closest thing we had to that here was a store called Wonderlan..."

That was a lucky find. Been there for years and neither Michele or I had heard of it, but we'd had a lunch date planned in the area and I googled used book stores for fun. One of those places where you just plant yourself on the floor and paw through the shelves, books behind books. Old Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. Books kept at the front desk under glass - including very old Flashman editions. Book heaven.

message 48: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) Lolly, I couldn't believe it when I saw it in your post and didn't think there were too many Catawbas around. She went to Catawba College http://www.catawba.edu/ not sure which one that is from the two you mention.

That is such a good description of the downtown library. The children's section is on the first floor now, but as you can see from these floor plans http://www.ocls.info/locations/maps/m... the FOL room is just the same, right off the elevator on the 3rd floor.

Misfit, so that is the bookstore you found on that book outing! I remember those discussions and now I understand the bookgasm. My oh my, how did that escape your notice for so long. I checked their Angelique books and they have certainly gone up in price.

message 49: by Lolly's Library (new)

Lolly's Library Dawn (& Ron) wrote: "Lolly, I couldn't believe it when I saw it in your post and didn't think there were too many Catawbas around. She went to Catawba College http://www.catawba.edu/ not sure which one that is from the..."

Yeah, there's Catawba County, the Catawba River, who knows what else. Catawba College is in Salisbury, a town to the east and a couple of counties over from where I live, so, no, it's neither one of the colleges I mentioned.

I know, I visited the library in later years, after they renovated it and moved the children's section, which, I think, ruined some of the library's draw. At least for me, anyway.

@Misfit: I love those lucky finds, they make outings that much more special. See, I knew my idea of camping out there was a good one! LOL