Stephanie's Reviews > Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls

Batman, Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder

Jun 07, 2012

bookshelves: graphic-novels-and-comics
Read from May 22 to 23, 2012

(From my blog, Misprinted Pages.)

When you start a character and his universe from scratch, to make him stand out from his peers in an initiative like the “New 52,” you have to think big. More specifically, you have to build his city grander than before, cast his shadow longer, and give him a foe unlike any other he’s ever faced.

The Court of Owls is the perfect new beginning for Gotham’s watchful guardian because it challenges his right to that title. There are some secrets, it seems, that even Batman doesn’t know. He, the master of stealth and disguise, has been fooled by those who’ve hidden in darkness far longer: a secret society that dates back to his great, great grandfather, Alan Wayne.

Bruce wants to construct “a better, brighter Gotham” — but to do so, Batman must sink into unknown depths, both literally and metaphorically. When the Court of Owls trap him, a feat accomplished by only the fiercest foes, Batman degenerates in look, in health — horribly, like a monster, thanks to the artistic talent of Greg Capullo. What appeared to be another costumed wannabe, a fanatic with too much time on his hands, turned out to be a deadly threat and, yet, only a pawn — and thus starts the new chapter of evil in Gotham. The Court of Owls is only the preface to the story, and a dark omen to the darker days that lie ahead — a living challenge to the brighter world Bruce Wayne hopes to achieve.

Picking a freak at random is easy, but Scott Snyder tricks us into thinking any lunatic in mask and suit is a warm-up compared to the classic villains — that only the Joker and other timeless rogues like him can do harm. It’s not long before he shows us otherwise — that the new can be as powerful as the old, and that sometimes, they’re one in the same.

An excellent precursor to the new age of Batman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman, Vol. 1.

James Good review. In many ways Court of Owls is similar to the graphic novel, also by Scott, Gates of Gotham.

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 08, 2012 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie Thanks, James! I haven't read Gates of Gotham, but I'll add that one to my list. Snyder's pretty good -- love his American Vampire.

... and the new Swamp Thing and Black Mirror (from what I did read).

James Stephanie wrote: "Thanks, James! I haven't read Gates of Gotham, but I'll add that one to my list. Snyder's pretty good -- love his American Vampire.

... and the new Swamp Thing and Black Mirror (from what I did re..."

Thanks. I enjoyed American Vampire and Black Mirror -- really liking Scott's take on the Dark Knight. I reviewed these two but not Court of Owls, which I have vol. 1 of the graphic novel.