Kat (Lost in Neverland)'s Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

May 23, 2012

bookshelves: awesome-cover, amazing-love-interest, i-dont-really-know-what-to-think, unique, fangirling
Read from July 24 to 25, 2012

4.5. Stars Overall.

When Alina Starkov crosses the Fold, a void of darkness infested with monsters, an incredible light saves their ship and everyone on it. Only when they have docked again and she is taken to see the Darkling, the second-in-command ruler of Ravka, does she realize she had summoned the light and saved them.
Alina is a Sun Summoner, the only of her kind, and she is destined to save all of Ravka from the 100 year war they've been in. But who can she trust when she's taken from her lifelong best friend and to the Little Palace, to be pampered and trained in her power? Especially when it turns out, everyone is not who they seem.

Well, it was good. It wasn't as fabulous as I had expected, but it was pretty awesome. It was brilliantly unique and unputdownable. (Yes, I'm making that an official word as of right now.)

At first, I thought the Darkling was deliciously sexy...but then he got a bit pushy and said something I really didn't like.

Did anyone else think; "Holy shit, that's creepy. He sounds like Christian Grey."

description

Well, I did. And as it turns out (view spoiler)
So it works out well.

I'm not so sure with Alina. She's one of those heroines that I want to cheer for sometimes, and other times, I want to slap repeatedly. I don't know, just didn't care for her. She was babyish at times but then again, she kicked ass in the end.

Mal. Mal, Mal, Mal. *sigh* Any man who would say this to someone he loved is amazing.

"I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me we don't belong together. I'm sorry it took me so long to see you, Alina. But I see you now."

description

Can I just wrap him up and send him to myself?

I freaking loved the world building. Ravka, despite being at war and with this scary Fold to go through, I would totally want to live there. It combined medieval with modern and made me want to jump into the pages and explore the land.

The ending was awesome, I would love to see that part in movie form. Of course, they'd probably murder the book if they made it into a movie. I have a perfect image in my head of the Darkling and I don't want ANYONE TO RUIN IT.
In my opinion, he's still sexy, but he's just evil sexy.
Like Loki.
Except Loki rocks, and the Darkling is just...well, let's just say I wanted to rip his balls off.

description

But anyway, gorgeous cover, original world, can't wait for the sequel, loved it, love you, that's a wrap!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

07/24/2012 "Oh Lawd, this book smells SO. GOOD. *breathes in* I've never had a book that smelled this good. Perhaps this is an omen for things to come?"
07/24/2012 page 73
20.0% "Ohh, this Darkling dude is sexy.
description" 14 comments
07/24/2012 page 196
55.0% "description
WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT!
*squeal*"
07/25/2012 page 218
61.0% "The Darkling's mouth quirked in the suggestion of a grin but his eyes were serious. "Did you really think I was done with you?"
I don't really appreciate your tone, Mister Darkling. You sound like Christian Grey."
07/25/2012 page 221
62.0% "Oh dear, Alina and the Darkling are really going at it now.
description"
10/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim I will be very interested in your take on this. Most of my friend reviews are 'excellent' or 'awesome', but a few are 'not so good'.
Of course, if you are like me it may be #681 or so on your 'official' TBR.;)

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Jim wrote: "I will be very interested in your take on this. Most of my friend reviews are 'excellent' or 'awesome', but a few are 'not so good'.
Of course, if you are like me it may be #681 or so on your 'offi..."

Haha, I mostly added it because a lot of my friends on here added it, but it does sound intriguing. Once it comes out, I'll look for it at my library. :)

message 3: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Sounds good.:) I forget that my friends have read ARCs... It gets a little confusing at times. Almost like I've read the book through their reviews, even before it is released. Not complaining, though!

I like your new Loki avatar!:D

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Jim wrote: "Sounds good.:) I forget that my friends have read ARCs... It gets a little confusing at times. Almost like I've read the book through their reviews, even before it is released. Not complaining, tho..."

That's exactly what I thought before I saw the release date. :P

Thanks! I'm kind of on a Marvel kick right now, with my obsession being Loki. He's such a cool villain. I can't wait to see The Avengers this weekend. XD

message 5: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Oooh, The Avengers! I have just seen the trailer, but it looks awesome!

I think you would be interested in the reading list and reviews of my friend Sesana - this is her 2012 book challenge.

Brandi Kat, you can find a free (and legal) eight-chapter preview of Shadow and Bone on most ebook websites. It's awesome :)

Brandi Actually, it's only five chapters.

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Brandi wrote: "Kat, you can find a free (and legal) eight-chapter preview of Shadow and Bone on most ebook websites. It's awesome :)"

Ah, thank you! I'm sooooooo excited for this one, what about you?

Brandi The first five chapters were intriguing. I can't wait to read the rest!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

You finished??!

Kat (Lost in Neverland) YES, I FINISHED. Review is up now. :D

Jordan I love your GIFs of Toby, Olan, and Loki. I liked this book as well and enjoyed reading your review :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Jordan wrote: "I love your GIFs of Toby, Olan, and Loki. I liked this book as well and enjoyed reading your review :)"

Thank you! Haha, I love those gifs too, it took a while to find them.

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Lyn wrote: "And the answer is "Yes!" I didn't want to say anything and wreck the book for you. I went through the same thing when I read it, and by the end, I wanted blood."

YESSS, we shall demand blood of the Darkling! I seriously didn't get why Alina hadn't just chopped him in half in the end. I guess it was making room for a sequel, considering this is a trilogy, but I so wanted for her to chop him in half.
Oh, and thank you for not ruining it for me. I've had too many books ruined by careless people throwing out spoilers like candy. So, thanks for that. :)

message 16: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Excellent review, Kat! It certainly sounds like one I will enjoy, hopefully one day soon.

Love the doggie attitude too.:)

message 17: by Kat (Lost in Neverland) (last edited Jul 25, 2012 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Thank you, Jim! You will, it's amazing.

He's adorable, isn't he? Or she, I guess. :P

message 18: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Thanks, Kat! Your review definitely got me seeing the positives in a clear light.

Yes, she (or he) is definitely adorable, and I surely wouldn't want to get on her (or his) bad side. Or yours, for that matter. Now that I see what you would do to the Darkling. No indeed.:P

Kat (Lost in Neverland) BAHAHAHA! Aw come on, I gave you that awesome E-hug last night. Maybe this one is more appropriate;

Gaaaah! I'm the Hulk!

message 20: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Gaaahh!! Can we go back to the awesome E-hug from last night, take 2? The Hulk's approach is just a little TOO AWESOME...

And go easy on that secret sauce, okay?

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Ehehehe, sure. :P

What secret sauce? Whatever it is, I want it.

message 22: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Ahhh, thank you. I feel so much better now.:P

Maybe I shouldn't say any more about the sauce. Let's just call it the Hulk-enabler. Unless my memory fails me (quite possible), it comes with a big syringe. Not recommended - just stay the lovely person you are, okay?

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Awww, okayz. Thanks. :P

message 24: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim That's the spirit! You are plenty of awesome, just as you are.:P

message 26: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Hahaha! OK, if you insist.

message 27: by Bern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bern YOU'VE READ, AAAAH!

And yes I only noticed it just now ok I delay sometimes to don't be judgy u.u

Kat (Lost in Neverland) YES, I READ OVER TWO WEEKS AGO.

And yes, I was being judgy. -.-

message 29: by Bern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bern MEAN. I'm reporting you as a bully.

I hope they take everything away from you *glares*

message 30: by Kat (Lost in Neverland) (last edited Aug 08, 2012 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (Lost in Neverland) NOOOOOOOOOOO.

You mean. Very very mean. MEANIE. *death glare*

message 31: by Bern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bern they're even going to take your phone away. YOUR FREAKING PHONE.

good luck having a life, evil hag *throat-slithering hand gesture*

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Joke's on you, Bern, I DON'T EVEN HAVE A FUCKIN' PHONE.

I prefer the term witch, thank you very much. Hag is demeaning. Witch is much better.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

OooOo...Loki, yummy reference.