Rdevillez's Reviews > Maisie Dobbs

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

U 50x66
May 23, 12

Read on May 23, 2012

I enjoy the Maisie Dobbs novels, despite what I consider to be some flaws in their construction as mysteries. Maisie's intuitive deductions are a little too trite for my tastes, and never explained until the end of the novel.
That having been said, the books are quite well written and I enjoy her character. It is well rounded and quite believable.
As someone who reads a lot of books, many of them detective type novels, I find it hard to find a writer who can hold my interest. Indeed, many of the books I begin are so badly written I cannot finish them. Often giving up after one or two chapters. It is refreshing therefore to find a novelist who can hold my interest, not only all the way through a book, but all the way through a series, although I still have a couple more of Ms. Winspears novels to read.
This is not great literature, and occasionally Ms Winspear prattles on a little too long about matters that do not add to the story, but the books are engaging. What I would term 'a gentle read' and one that works very well to relax me in bed before turning out the light and going to sleep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maisie Dobbs.