Lexi's Reviews > Man o' War: A Legend Like Lightning

Man o' War by Dorothy Ours

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read from May 23 to 30, 2012

This book was about the greatest racehorse ever. It talks about his records and how great he was. "Man O' War may set a new (stakes) record this afternoon and beat Wildair by a couple of lengths," It says that he has a lot of fans and a lot of people who loved him. "A good many of those who go to the tracks on days when Man O' War is scheduled to start really do not care whether he is confronted with a contest or a mere gallop" (page 208). It also talks about his ups and downs and how he always recovered. Even though he had a short career he still got a lot of money out of it and still had many fans. The main characters in this book were Man O' War, his owner, and the jockey that rode him.
I think the author of this book did a good job. She said almost everything she could about him. This was published in 2006 and he raced in the 20's, to write this book she must of had to do a lot of research. This is probably the best biography of him. I learned a lot about him and it helped me a lot in my Extravaganza project. I don't think a lot of people I know would be interested in it except for some of my barn friends. The only people that would want to read it are the people who like horses and like racing. If you don't know who Man O' War is before your probably wont want to read it. You have to like the horse and racing to get into the book.
I rate this book a 3.5 out of 5. I chose 3.5 because it was a long book and at times it was kind of hard to get into reading it. It wasn't quite a 4 because I don't think I want to read it again. I would rather read a shorter story about him. It wasn't below 3 because I did like it at moments and I got a lot of information from it for my project. I love horses but I don't know much about racehorses so it was nice to know more about a horse who was so famous. Before reading it knew a little bit about him but after reading it I could explain to people who he was and what he did.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man o' War.

message 1: by Ms. Landers (new)

Ms. Landers I am glad that you found a book that was helpful for your project. :)