gina's Reviews > A Parchment Of Leaves

A Parchment Of Leaves by Silas House

2023352
May 23, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, fiction, native-american, historical-fiction
Read in May, 2012

One of the best books I've ever read. I wish I had read it instead of listened to it though because I wanted copy so many of the lines. I will probably ask for a copy as a gift so I can underline and mark in it. The writing is beautiful and speaks to my southern soul. Also, it felt like he was in a way writing my families story. I've always wondered how in one generation the intermarriage of a Native American to a white person could loose all connection to their heritage. This book answered this question for me clearly. It happened on both sides of my family- leaving me disconnected from my Creek heritage through my dad and my Cherokee heritage thru my mom in one swift marriage during the time of "The Removal" in Alabama. So many indians hid out and still faced persecution and eviction from their lands decades later for other reasons. Often the NA's would purposely shun their heritage in order to "fit in" and so "it would be easier" for their children just as Vine's dad did for his daughter.

There is so much more to this story than the theme of Native American detachment to their culture and ways. But I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read this wonderful book. I highly recommend it to anyone who is Southern, descended from Native peoples, or loves all things southern. I will hold so many of the words of this book close to my heart. So many beautiful lines that sum up all that is the weather, nature, and joy of the southern appalachian landscape and peoples.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Parchment Of Leaves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sherri I could have written this same review! I am loving the audio version so much. Her voice is so soothing and a perfect match for the writing. I am a huge reader and this is one of those books that I wish deeply to have actually read rather than listen to. I am very grateful to have been introduced to this author though and can't wait to read his other works.