Reading Teen (Andye)'s Reviews > Carnival of Souls

Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Aug 22, 12

Read from August 16 to 20, 2012

At a Glance:

There are few authors that can create an entire world and completely suck you in, in just a few short chapters, and few books that make you want to quit the world until you've finished reading it. Melissa Marr is that author, and Carnival of Souls is that book.

World Building Jedi Master:

The world that Melissa Marr created in Carnival of Souls was so vivid. I couldn't believe that after just a few short chapters, I found myself knowing this world, and kind of believing that it actually exists. There are very few authors that have the ability to suck me in this quickly, but she has always been one of them. Here, Melissa has created a world of witches and daimons in The City, where an inflexible caste systems keeps those who are down from ever changing their lots in life. The only hope to change their future, is the Carnival of Souls, where they must literally fight for their lives, and a chance to become something more.

Multiple Viewpoints:

Another thing Melissa Marr does really well, is writing from many different viewpoints. This story is told mostly by Mallory, Kaleb, & Aya, with other characters also making narrative appearances. I love this style of writing! I love that each of these characters has a unique voice, and that I get to see things from each of their perspectives.

Tough Girls and Hot Guys and Romance:

Both of the main female characters are awesome in different ways. Mallory is a little naive and sheltered, but at the same time, she knows how to fight, and she'll do anything to help the people she loves. I feel like her character grew the most in the book, and I can't wait to see where she goes in the future. Aya was equally awesome in her own way. She fights (sometimes dirty) to the death so that she can have control over her own life. While most sit back and take what they're given, Aya knows that she has to fight, or die. Then there are the guys! I adore the way that Melissa writes guys. She has a way of making them completely strong, fiercely loyal, and completely full of emotion. I love the tension, the romance and the secrets that are bound to make all these relationships go haywire in the following books.

Jump in NOW!

If you haven't read a book by Melissa Marr, I definitely recommend starting with Carnival of Souls. The only warning to you is that this book ends on a HUGE cliffhanger. With her other books, there has always been more resolution, but this time....not so much. Luckily, there's a whole series (Wicked Lovely) that you can read while you're waiting for the next CoS book to come out!

-Andye
Readingteen.net

Content:

Sexual Content: Sexual Dialog and innuendo
Profanity: Mild with one heavy word
Violence: Moderate
Other Notables: Daimons, Witches

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnival of Souls.

08/16/2012 page 42
14.0% "Sigh. I love MM!"
08/16/2012 page 75
25.0% "I'm amazed at how quickly she can build an entire world and completely suck me in."