Dana's Reviews > The Domino Effect

The Domino Effect by Andrew Cotto

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from June 28 to July 07, 2012

(I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.)

My feelings toward this book oscillated a bit as I read, mostly due to my reactions toward Danny (Domino), the main character. I started out loving the book - the story pulled me in right away, Danny was a character I could empathize with, and I found myself dying to know what happened next. That was just the introduction.

As soon as I hit the first "real" chapter in the book, I stopped liking Danny so much. At times, his New Yorkishness felt forced... either the kid thought he was John Travolta's character in Saturday Night Fever, or Andrew Cotto really wanted his readers to make that kind of association. I found it a tad obnoxious, but to be fair I am from New England and find that level of New Yorkishness obnoxious anyway. So take that criticism with a grain of salt or two.

There were also times when I felt the plot wasn't really going anywhere, though this got better as characters became more defined and the conflicts among them were made clearer. Cotto does a fabulous job at making certain characters (Danny's first roommate and his love interest, for example) relatable, and also at making other characters (the whole wrestling team) deplorable.

As far as coming-of-age stories go, this one's right on the money. The Domino Effect combines typical high school drama, first love, peer conflicts, parental angst, racial tension, and a boy's search for identity, resulting in an entertaining, enjoyable read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Domino Effect.

06/29/2012 page 25