Tony's Reviews > Rao's On the Grill: Perfectly Simple Italian Recipes from My Family to Yours

Rao's On the Grill by Frank Pellegrino Jr.

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: food, firstreads-wins
Read in July, 2012

A Firstreads win.

I have the advanced reading copy. So there's no index. Some of the sub-recipes, like the citrus sauce for ribs, aren't here. All the pictures are in black and white and, consequently, unappealing. But I can't dock points for that.

A theme of the book seems to be that there isn't anything you can make in the kitchen that you can't make on the grill. I suppose that's so. However, there are some things that should or must be made on the grill and other things which are just easier to make on the stove. But the Pelligrinos make everything on the grill. Tuna and cannellini bean salad. Egg and vegetable salad. Pasta.

But I'm adventurous. I made pizza on the grill. But I didn't religiously follow the recipes herein. Indeed, the recipes seem a little hard to follow (not sure why). So I either tweaked or used another, more user-friendly book.

That said, I had to try one recipe from start to finish so I made Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Mousse. All three of my thumbs up! The Mousse flaunted vanilla bean, which is always a winner for me. It's a lovely dessert; fairly easy; and sure to be a crowd-pleaser.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rao's On the Grill.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hmmm I think I need this book - our kitchen renovation is starting Monday so I will be without a kitchen for 2-3 months!!

Tony Stop by, Kelly. I will be happy to let you have it.

P.S. ... I'm very proud of you for making it so far in the Rachel Carson Challenge!