Book Whales 's Reviews > Flicker

Flicker by Kaye Thornbrugh

Jul 01, 12

Read from May 25 to June 18, 2012

Originally posted @ Book Whales

When I saw Kaye’s invitation to review the book, I easily accepted it. Who wouldn’t? The cover is gorgeous and it's about fairies and magic. I’ am a sucker for fantasy reads and the author is just 19 years old! This book will capture the taste of fairy lovers, who seek adventure with a hint of romance.

Lee Capren was abducted by faeries. Her talent to draw portraits attracted the feys. They had kept her as a prisoner. The story took a great turn when a handsome seer saw her. He made a deal in exchanged for her freedom. Nasser is no ordinary human. He is a seer, sighted to see the fey realms. Nasser, plunge Lee to a world filled with magic. Someone wants her dead! Why does the cunning dryad wants Lee? Is she a seer as well? You have to read this book to find out.

The world building is good. The pacing was a bit slow at the beginning. Though, I love how the author introduced the array of unique characters. I appreciate how the author took her time in introducing them. I didn’t have a hard time, picturing each of them in my head. I was deeply absorbed inside the book. I love how the author describes the life of being a seer. How the domineering fairy masters harassed them. It was too much at first. The cruelty and punishments made my blood boil in anger.

As for the character building, I was impressed. I connected to Lee instantly. It is because we are the same, minus the talent in drawing –haha-. She is passionate, courageous and weird in a good way. Her mind wanders and can easily lose track of time. Again, it reminds me of me. Nasser is one of my favorite characters in the book. He is responsible, smart and caring. And did I mention that he is hot too? Yep, he made my mouth-water a few times. I love his protectiveness over his brother and Lee. Then Filo, I really don't like his character at first. He is always irritated and angry. But once I got to know him better, his life story broke my heart into tiny pieces. There are more characters in this book that will capture your interest. I would leave them for you to find out.

Lastly, there is little when it comes to the love-angle. The story focuses more on the problem regarding the feys. I was a bit disappointed in that. I wanted more between Nasser and Filo. I hope book two will change that.

Overall, this book is a vibrant read. Fairy lovers and adventure seekers will like this book.

Rating:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flicker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new) - added it

Katharine Rees Is flicker appropriate for a thirteen year old?

Book Whales Katharine wrote: "Is flicker appropriate for a thirteen year old?" Hi Katherine! This book is appropriate for a 13 year old :D

-Dani