Kean Soo's Reviews > The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

2820192
May 23, 12

What I learned in reading this collection:

- 'Brain fever' was a thing in Victorian times, apparently? And a lot of people sure seemed to suffer from it (and makes it harder to solve mysteries, obvs). It cropped up just a little too frequently in this one collection of stories, anyway.

- Bit by bit, Holmes gets humanized in these stories (gasp! he makes mistakes!), and is all the better for it.

- Shocked and more than a little disappointed by Moriarty's appearance (followed by his immediate demise) -- we don't even get to see Holmes and Moriarty engage in a battle of wits (although it's alluded to)! It's fascinating then, that all the Holmes adaptations decades down the road have taken a great idea and really run with it, making it into something much grander than the actual source material.

- I think reading all the Sherlock Holmes stories all in one go might not have been the best idea. They're all starting to blur into one another, maybe I'll give them a little break for now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.