Trina's Reviews > Santa Clawed

Recommended to Trina by: Bantam Books
Recommended for: Fans of the Sneaky Pie Brown series of mysteries
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

Goodreads Giveaway win!

I am a Rita Mae Brown fan from way back. Right now I am staring at the seven copies of her various books placed prominently and proudly on my shelf. I am asking myself, "What happened?" "Am I missing something?" This is a murder mystery where the animals help solve the crimes and have impromptu conversations with each other. Maybe my lack of enthusiasm for animals(I do not own a pet and the two dogs I have had in my life did not fit in the category of man's best friend)contributed to my ho hum response to this book. Also, I was not a fan of the way the tone of the book. I admire colloquialism but abhor explanations of each and every one on every page. It was if she was saying to the reader "This is not your world and you could never understand it without my steady hand to guide you and explain everything every step of the way." I was disappointed, admittedly it has been years since I read a Rita Mae Brown book, my last being Loose Lips maybe she has changed and I did not change with her.
Thank you Bantam Books for the advanced copy for I am a reader first and a critic second!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Santa Clawed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ellen (new)

ellen I associate Rita Mae Brown with high school, I voraciously consumed them back then -- but the last time I picked something up by her, I had a similar experience to what you described. I decided to leave her in the fond memory category!

Trina I guess you can't go home again! I was severely saddened by this discovery. It is like she is a completely different author.