Reynje's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

05/23/2012 page 220
27.0% "My Book-Everests shelf was looking a little bare.. also, I've been watching the series, so you know.. when in Rome Westeros.." 6 comments
05/27/2012 page 586
73.0% 2 comments
05/28/2012 page 695
87.0% "I'm so close.. I can smell victory I mean, the finish line.." 6 comments
05/29/2012 page 760
95.0% "I may just be overtired right now, but Lord Commander Mormont's raven is one of my favourite characters in this book. Apparently I like fictional birds much more than I like actual birds.. especially when they're smart-mouth ravens."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily I'm reading this too! I'm slightly nervous...

message 2: by Reynje (new) - added it

Reynje I took the plunge :) Have you watched any of the tv series, Em?

Emily Just finished the first series. I wasn't that into it until the last two episodes and now I am capital H Hooked. Have you watched it?

I heart Jon Snow and his broodiness :)

message 4: by Reynje (new) - added it

Reynje Yes, I've just watched Ep 7 of the second series :) I didn't think I'd be into it, but I'm hooked as well. A friend who has read the books recommended watching the first season to get my head around all the characters and I'm glad I did.

I love me some Jon Snow too - as you've probably noticed from my tumblr reblogging :)

message 5: by Emily (last edited May 23, 2012 04:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Yeah, I would've had a hard time keeping track of everyone if I hadn't watched the show first.

(view spoiler)

PS Yes, I had noticed. Keep it coming, lady! :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) how is it rey! i plan on reading this very soon. it's not slow is it?

message 7: by Reynje (new) - added it

Reynje It's good - it's an easy read :) Especially now that I've seen the show, and have my head around all the characters..

message 8: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle So do you recommend watching before reading? :)

Jess I usually never ever EVER watch a film/tv show before the book, but I'm really thinking of doing it for this book. If it's as confusing as everyone says it is, then I'd like to be prepared.

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Jess wrote: "I usually never ever EVER watch a film/tv show before the book, but I'm really thinking of doing it for this book. If it's as confusing as everyone says it is, then I'd like to be prepared."

I'm with you there Jess and I often find that if I do give in an watch first, I no longer have the enthusiasm for the book :(

Steph I watched the first two episodes before reading the book to give me an idea who everyone was and a feel for everyone. I didn't find it confusing to read. It was so great to see all of the episodes once I finished the book.

message 12: by Reynje (last edited May 29, 2012 07:55PM) (new) - added it

Reynje Normally, I feel the same as Jess - I'd never watch a film/tv series before reading the book. But with this one I did.. and I don't think that was a bad thing. There are a lot of characters in the story and the show helped me get my head around who was who etc.

The book itself isn't difficult to read, and the tv series stays very close, plot-wise. It's just been.. er... spiced up? a bit. And some of the characters in the tv series seem to have been aged up from their book counterparts..

message 13: by Yara (new)

Yara Reynje, I read to chapter four--Eddard's chapter--and I thought it was a relatively easy read, as well. I've since put it aside because... well, because sometimes these things happen. Lol.

However... I found all five books on audio at a garage sale for less than nothing so obviously I was like SNAG. That, combined with the fact that two of my friends are reading them on GD, has inspired me to pick them up again. I commute to university, so what better way to spend an hour and half than in the realm of The Seven Kingdoms? :)