Isamlq's Reviews > The Unquiet

The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee

May 26, 12

Read from May 22 to 24, 2012

3.5/5

So, she’s new girl who inexplicably fits in with the popular crowd. Inexplicably, because she’s admittedly rude, short tempered and distant. So, Mr. Popularity (among others) have the hots for her. Yet, how much did I enjoy this one? Maybe a three point two five? three point five?

I like that she had no filter. I was fascinated but a bit iffy on her descriptions of her highs and lows. Her recollection of what she was and what she could do in an episode piqued my curiosity. I’m not a hundred percent on the rightness of what she was describing, but it was all intriguing. Too bad, that that’s eclipsed by would-be hauntings because she’s just not sure… and therefore so was I! I also enjoyed the boy who was just there. Because with him there, this sweet snarky thing that went on and on and had me liking them a little more. I even enjoyed the haunting moments which mostly worked for me. Still, me enjoying the lead up to the ending and the actual ending itself? Two different things.

Manic then not. With the way Rinn was feeling: excited, scared, to paranoid, she had me feeling much the same. Most of it was tense and creepy and scary, but her describing her day to day got confusing and troubling, too. I enjoyed maybe 80% of this until the ending,(view spoiler) that felt over the top in an already loaded story. How much do you want to add when the protag is self-confessed crazy? Or in a setting that involves a haunted high school?

Her friends. They actually made for a more interesting read if you set aside that she’d become part of the It crown so suddenly. I liked them with the cattiness and the bitchiness. I liked how each of them brought something to the story. Meg and her cheer obsession. Tasha and her odd swimming obsessed mother. Then the completely unlikeable but likeable for that same reason, Lacy. She may have played a small part in this but I think she was the most interesting out of all of the. If only because she’s so unapologetically bitchy.

The boyfriend. Perhaps one of the more interesting pairings I’ve come across in a long time. Is he typical YA popular boy? Yes. No. Yes... He’s popular, good looking. And he likes her but there’s really no reason for him to do so… and yet, I just liked the easy snarky way they bantered. He’s a little like Tuck (Unearthly,) and not just the country boy thing that she'd poke him about. There’s an easy way to him. And he's there, but only to an extent.

Haunting... or maybe not? The lead up to the confrontation was so effectively creepy. Having me just as paranoid as Rinn. Every explanation she came up with had her seeming more off hinge and paranoid. So figuring out if she was thinking straight and if something else really was going on was the most interesting part of this.

I personally don’t like how things came to light, how she connected things in the end. There could have been other ways, I think. The scrap books for instance... and going the way that it did felt unnecessarily... erg, gimmicky. But that’s my problem. Over all, The Unquiet was effectively creepy, more so with a narrator you want to be reliable but just aren’t one hundred percent about.

3.5/5
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unquiet.