Joshua's Reviews > God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

Jan 24, 09

bookshelves: religion
Recommended for: the choir
Read in July, 2007

I suspected that the recently invigorated debate over secularism vs. religion was the most boring topic on earth, and I feel vindicated after reading this book. Christopher Hitchens is a pompous asshole. This actually makes him an appropriate author for the subject, though. When people debate religion in such stark terms they are pretty much always just trying to score cheap points. Hitchens does this one better by managing to write in a way that is offensive even when you agree with him.

UPDATE
While I found this book sort of infuriating to read, several events that happened on the day I finished it make me wonder whether I was too harsh. First, a Hasidic man pursued me on the street, trying to wrap me in tefillin because he thought that G-d wanted him to. Then my Muslim cab driver berated me for working for the company that I do, telling me that he didn't want to take my blood money and that I would have trouble in the afterlife. Of course, he waited to tell me this until he had already taken my blood money, and my blood tip. So, Hitchens might be an asshole, but so are the people he's ranting against. And at least he's right.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God is Not Great.

Carl Thank you for the precision.

John I thought Hitchens was temperate in his comments. You should read this again.

Joshua John wrote: "I thought Hitchens was temperate in his comments. You should read this again."

It's all potshots. There's nothing to learn from this book; the only value in it is if you completely agree with him and like to read stuff in which people who disagree with that view are berated.

John Okay, we disagree

message 5: by Skyler (new)

Skyler I will pray for you.

message 7: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Petitto As someone else has already mentioned, you have to look at the title. This book is not meant to be an atheist manifesto, it's an argument that explains the negative influence of religion on society. And Hitchens is certainly snarky, but that we his personality. It served him well.