Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Otherkin

Read from July 13 to 14, 2012

*Genre* YA Paranormal
*Rating* 3.0

**Review**

As we meet 17-year old Desdemona (Dez) Grey, she is forced to wear a back brace 23 hours a day because she has a severe case of idiopathic scoliosis (curvature of the spine). The back brace is supposed to protect her spine from curving any further while she continues to grow.

Dez is rather tall for a girl and is painfully shy around boys. She also doesn’t have that many friends that she hangs around with. When someone touches her, she totally freaks out which leads to a fit of rage over the fact that she feels like a freak of nature. Upon taking off her brace, she shifts into a tiger and is immediately captured by a group known as the Tribunal who truly believes that shifters are the devils’ work.

When she wakes up in a steel cage, she finds a boy named Caleb who is not what he seems. It appears he is able to call out Dez’s shadow and allow her to shift into a tiger. After helping him escape captivity, Dez and Caleb eventually ends up at Morfael’s school for shifters where Dez learns more about her abilities and how to shift on call. Dez is also different from the other kids at the school in that she’s the only one of her kind left in existence.

Nina Berry introduces readers to a new sort of Shifters which includes wolves (Laurentia), large cats (Dez), bears (Siku), and birds of prey (Arnaldo). Oh, yes, there is even a cute little rat shifter by the name of November. The rest of the so called shifters, including Dez’s own parents, have been slowly eliminated by the Tribunal. The shifters are also their own worst enemy because they refuse to band together to fight back against the Tribunal.

Dez is an interesting enough character that I think readers will like and not want to toss rotten tomatoes at her. She is active in the fight against the Tribunal and not just a passive participant. She’s not a Mary Sue character that cries at the drop of a hat. She leads by example and jumps in with 4 paws. When the Tribunal comes after the shifter school, she helps band the rest of the kids together in an effort to fight them off.

Dez’s own past is neatly unwrapped up and exposed over the course of the story. Dez is fully aware of the fact that she is adopted yet she fully embraces and loves her adoptive mother Caroline Grey. Caroline is also a fixture in this story and not just a tertiary character like other YA novels where there parents are non-existent, or unaware of what goes on in their daughters life.

As for our boy Caleb, he is a bit of a mystery. He has a mysterious power that he is able to call shadows from behind the veil. He hasn’t exactly had a great time of it either with him losing his mother and finding out that his father is the devil himself disguised as one of the leaders of the Tribunal.

I am a hater of instant love attractions, thus the reason why I took off so many stars from my review. I think that relationships need to be built on trust, respect, and of course, love for the right reasons not just because it seems like the right thing to do at the time.

Otherkin is a cross blend of mystery, suspense and a thriller. Otherkin is set for release July 31, 2012 with Othermoon releasing February 2013.

Otherkin was kindly provided to me by Kensington Books in lieu of an honest opinion and review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Otherkin.

07/14/2012 page 53