Tony's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Fuminori Nakamura

May 22, 12

bookshelves: novels, translated-fiction
Read in January, 2012

Despite being regularly underwhelmed by Japanese crime fiction, I continue to pick it up in the hopes of finding a writer or story that clicks. Unfortunately, this book proved to be another dud. The story follows a highly talented pickpocket who meets up with an old friend/criminal and gets sucked into a scheme masterminded by a mysterious man. He is made the proverbial offer he can't refuse -- a series of increasingly difficult thefts that he must complete or he will be killed. This could theoretically work as the plot of a neo-noir thriller, except that the pickpocket is such a cipher that there's nothing for the reader to connect with. Like a lot of protagonists I seem to come across in Japanese crime fiction, he's a loner mired in his own sense of ennui. A subplot introduces a young boy whom he half-heartedly mentors and protects, but that comes across mainly as sentimental window-dressing. There's a lot of wallowing in existentialism, and conundrums about the nature and role of fate, and none of it says anything interesting. I could see how it might work much better as a stylish film, where the craft of the pickpocket can come more alive and the emptiness at its core can be given some visual heft, but I surely can't recommend this book. A better use of one's time would be to read Crime and Punishment and watch Robert Bresson's 1959 film, Pickpocket.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.