Anna Sims's Reviews > Laughter on the Stairs

Laughter on the Stairs by Beverley Nichols

Aug 01, 14

bookshelves: favorite-books, beverley-nichols
Read from March 09 to 25, 2013

I used to feel that P.G. Wodehouse was at the front of the class for dry British humor... but now, I think that Beverley Nichols' might have stolen his seat while I wasn't looking. He writes about his garden, his home, his patch of England as though he's examining each detail through a magnifying glass. This sounds like it would be tedious, but he is so charming that instead you want each chapter to go on forever.

Nichols is also a master of quietly weaving in references to his favorite painters, historical movements, types of antique furniture, and British figureheads-- reading his books is like having a fireside talk (whiskey in hand) with a funny, sharp great-uncle.

I discovered him first through this book-- Laughter on the Stairs, where he renovates his country home and by the end, I had a list of references to research. I've just checked Merry Hall and Sunlight on the Lawn out from the library and I plan to spend a few nights reading in bed, happily catching up with Mr. Nichols.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laughter on the Stairs.

03/18/2013 page 48